Thursday, March 2, 2017

What are the Chances of This Happening????

  The photo to the left is my favorite picture of Mama and Daddy. Mama is in a nursing home because she has Alzheimer's. Daddy was wonderful to Mama when she was sick, and I will leave our story right there.

   The blog I am writing today has to do with this photo. It is the absolute truth and has two families completely baffled.

   Monday Tommy and I went to town to run errands, pay a bill and I needed to enlarge a few photos for framing.  The above photo was one to be enlarged. As usual, I needed help in this area. The young lady who helped us had the patience of a saint and the best sense of humor. She made our hour long excursion a pleasure. We laughed and talked as I messed up things and she fixed them. Finally, she took over and did it herself. 

  When she enlarged the above photo, she looked at it for a long time.I told her the story about the photo and then I placed it in the pile of photos we were accumulating. After we made a few more reproductions, the young woman asked if she could see the photo of my parents again. I gave it to her. I watched her face while she studied the photo. Finally she said, "You are not going to believe this, but we have this exact photo laying on our mantel. No one knows these people or how we got the photo. Since we do genealogy we left it out in hopes someday we would find out where the picture came from and why we have it."

  I was shocked to say the least. We talked and traded information. She called her mother and asked her questions. We still do not have the connection. A few minutes later we enlarged a photo of Mama and Daddy, probably taken after he came home from the war. She took the photo and said, "That's the man. I have seen photos of him before."

 I gave her as much information as I could on the spur of the moment. There is a span of fifty years between those two photos. I gave her copies of them. Maybe she is the key to a large part of my past. Most people know their life story. I don't. I have bits and pieces and at times chunks of my life. It just does not all gel together. There a big hole and I would love to know the true story.

  I know I have a half brother somewhere. I want and need to meet him. I am not sure how the meeting would go. I long for the chance to see. I would love to know if I have any nieces or nephews. Who knows one of them may be left handed, have curly hair and green eyes. I would be delighted. They would all be grown and have children of their own. Oh the possibilities,if I only knew the whole story. I would like for him to meet my children and husband. I would like to know if he is anything like Daddy. I know I am.

  I am taking a DNA test next week. It is supposed to be able to tell if I have any half siblings. Believe it or not, that is what I want for my birthday. It is in April and the results should be back by then. 

  Closure that is what I want. The truth and closure. And if I find more family to love that would be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment