Saturday, October 14, 2017

Thank God for Daughters. . .


Tommy and I have been blessed with three wonderful, amazing daughters. Although we do not live close to each other we get together as often as we can. If there is a health emergency one or all three will arrive as soon as possible. Since Tommy has been sick over the past five months, Tami stayed with us at the hospital for nights on end. Sleeping in uncomfortable recliners. It was touch and go for about three weeks. Then Tami had to make the move to Troy to the new home she was buying. It was impossible for her to even try to help. Her plate was running over with everything and anything that could go wrong, trying its best to drive her to the brink of endurance. Someone even tried to steal her backyard from a legal standpoint. That was a new one for all of us. Tami needed rest...if you can call moving rest.
     Enters Lisa!  Lisle drove Lisa to Missouri to help us out. She worked for a neurologist for several years .  She speaks their medical language which is far from the normal language Tommy and I speak. When a new doctor was explaining  a new procedure they were going to try. She understood exactly what they meant. We also became very familiar with sleeping arrangements at the VA and the University. We learned to always have a bag ready and sitting by the back door for ourselves and a bag for all of Tommy's information. The reason for this is sometimes if you are working with three hospitals and a emergency happens in the middle of the night,  information gets lost in the transfer. This is where making friends with the nursing staff is critical. They are there to help and do a great job when needed.  After about three weeks Tommy was stable enough for her to go home.  Like Tami, Lisa was perfect when push came to shove and we were medically over our heads.
                                                        
Finally, things were looking up for Tommy. We could handle the rest. Right now it is more wait and see than anything else. We are still at the VA once or twice a week for tests. I drove the Blazer to town and the transmission blew up in it. I barely made it home. Tommy's truck would no longer change gears. Something was wrong and that left us with nothing to drive and dr. appointments up the wazoo.  Enter Melodi, when I talked to Melodi she had strep throat and was sick as a dog. But she had a plan. Her mother in law, Jamie was going to sell her mothers Subaru Outback and she wanted to know if we would like to buy it. Absolutely we wanted to buy it. The only problem was it was in California. Tommy couldn't make the drive, He gets exhausted going to Columbia and Walmart. I offered to fly out and drive it back. That was voted down before I got the words out of my mouth. So Melodi took a lot of medicine and made the trip. She ran into ice, winds and I think some snow. Probably a good idea I didn't fly out and drive it home. We got everything worked out finally.  I had a nervous rage of crying and emotions I had held in for years. It couldn't stop talking or crying once I finally got started. No one committed me but I am sure it was discussed. Stress brings out the worst in people and I had reached my maximum point. However, as of today, Tommy is driving by himself to check out something for deer season and Logan. I am back to normal or my version of normal. That one could be debated. I have said this many times before. When Tommy and I made Lisa, Tami and Melodi, we made magic.

Thank you girls for all you have done for us, Love you to the moon and back.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment