Sunday, November 19, 2017

I Really Need to get out More Often ...

   I am delighted with our new to us Subaru Outback. I did have to order a manual for it, because this car has more bells and whistles than any car we have ever owned. We have 'fog lights'. . .who knew??
   I have driven 'my' car four times. Since retirement, Tommy and I go everywhere together.  He always drives because he hates the way I drive.  We retired in 2009  and I have been behind the wheel very little.  The other day, I had an appointment and Tommy did not feel like going so I drove myself.  It felt great to be behind the wheel. Everything was great until I tried to get on I-70. This interstate has been taken over by eighteen wheeler's.  I waited for an opening on a ramp, while traffic flew by me at the speed of light.  Finally, I see an opening and I am in there in a flash.  I was doing 70 when I merged onto the highway.  Within a few seconds I was surrounded by three eighteen wheeler's.  One was in front, the second was beside me and the third one was trying hard to jump in my back seat.  We raced along for a few minutes. The guy behind me closed in a little more.  I had nowhere to go. There was no way I could cut off the truck beside me and pass the one in front of me. That is what the trucker behind me wanted but I refused.  As far as I was concerned he could switch lanes and push the other eighteen wheeler and see how far he would get.  My exit was coming up and Mama was staying put. My exit could not get there soon enough. I turned on my exit signal and the trucker blared down on his horn.  I didn't care.  He was off my wazoo and I was on my way to Kingdom City.  I tried to turn off my signal and my windshield wipers came on.  It wasn't raining!! I finally got the wipers off.  I was ready to get off the road for a few minutes.
    I looked at the gas tank and decided to fill up and get a cup of coffee. I pulled in by the pumps, got out to add fuel and there was no gas flap.  I walked around the car and there it was on the right hand side. I had never noticed that. So I pull out and around the tanks.  I get out of the car and there still is no gas tank. So I get back in the car and make a huge loop in the parking lot and came in on the left side of the pumps. I think I got a standing ovation when my car and pump lined up and I began to put in the gas. I felt like an idiot. . .I looked like an idiot. Did I care? Not really! There wasn't one person I knew within sight. They were laughing their wazoo off at my mistakes.  So was I!!  Who cares?  I certainly didn't. I took a bow and got in my car and off  I  drove to have a new adventure.
    I turned on the temperature and had to wrestle with the controls to get the air conditioner off and the heat on.  I didn't do it exactly right. I had heat on my side and in my seat. However, the passenger side was blowing cool air. I needed to look that up when I get home. Now I know what to do...I think.  I drove all over the place. I went to Mexico and back to Fulton.  It was a nice day to be out and about. I have a few more things to learn about my car. There a four buttons down low on the left side. I need to find out what they do. I found my cell phone charger and hidden compartments in the back area.  I started to open my sunroof but chickened out. I will try that one at home.  Needless to say I love this car. I need to drive it more so I can get used to it.
    The next time we go to the V.A. I am driving. Tommy will not care for this idea I am sure. That is ok he will get over it especially after they stick needles in his ears for acupuncture. I will be so glad when he is well and really enjoying our life together again. 
   


No comments:

Post a Comment