Friday, January 5, 2018

Wanna Get Rid of the Flu...Set the House on Fire...

  Tommy and I have had a rough ten days. We have a case of the flu from Hell, that literally knocked us on our wazoo.
  I missed two of his doctor appointments because I was too sick to go to the VA hospital with him. I have no sense of smell or taste. When coffee tastes off-kilter, I am either sick or pregnant. I pick 'sick' and stayed home again. I had things I needed to do. So with all the strength I had, I drug my sick wazoo off the futon, brought in wood, filled up the stove, washed the dishes and fell out in my recliner, completely exhausted. I picked up James Lee Burke's new novel, "Robicheaux" and began to get lost in one of my favorite characters life.  The bucket of wood I had tried to put in the stove about ten minutes earlier, burst into flames.  In fact, I didn't know we had a fire until I glanced up and the living room was filled with smoke, ditto for the kitchen and the den. By this time my eyes were burning. I moved faster in the next ten minutes than I had all week. I ran to the kitchen to get a big glass of water, dumping it on the blaze. It took 4 or 5 huge glasses of water to douse the flames. Did I mention the flames, were at first, jumping about 18 inches in the air out of the bucket? The flames were facing a wall and between the television and the wood stove. I don't remember how I got the bucket, smoldering wood, and rug out the back door...but I did. I know Miz Vicky was moving on!!
  I was tired, exasperated and filled with 'what ifs.' It seems the what-ifs start as soon as sanity returned. I remember thinking,"what if I had gone back to our bedroom and gone to sleep?" It was a sobering thought. I doubt if I would be writing this blog tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Omg! Thank God you were in there. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about what would have happened if you would have went to bed.

    ReplyDelete