Saturday, August 19, 2017

Sabella Finally Gets a Much Needed Bath. . ..

  Someone dropped Sabella, our German Shepherd, at our home about ten years ago when she was about five months old. We had a yellow lab named Sandy and we were perfectly content with the way things were.


 However, after Sabella slowly made her way down our driveway Sandy instantly became a mother. She loved Sabella. I did not realize how lonesome Sandy must have been for a companion. Tommy and I worked nights and slept days so most of the time Sandy was alone. We kept her in the house until it was time for us to leave.
  Sandy and Sabella became inseparable. They ran and chased each other. Ate out of the same bowl, most of the time, which surprised me. Tommy and I grew to love Sabella especially after we saw all the happiness she gave Sandy. The only problem we had was both dogs shed. .  . a lot. It was a loosing battle. We tore up several vacuum cleaners in the process of trying to keep a clean house. Brushing the dogs was an everyday chore and it still wasn't good enough. We used dry shampoo and doggie perfume. We burned candles and kept two vacuums plugged in and ready.
     Today was a beautiful day and I decided to give Sabella a tub bath in a galvanized tub Barbara gave me last year. I let the water warm for two days in the sun. Gathered all my dirty towels that I was about to wash, the doggie shampoo and  a hassock for me to set on.I still have trouble getting up and down in low areas. 
     I called Sabella to me and then grabbed her collar and began to brush her coat. She is used to that so it didn't bother her.  She is a smart dog and she knew this was not going to be an ordinary cleaning. Next I put the shampoo on and then the warm water. Sabella looked at me like I had just defiled her in some way.  All the time I was bragging on how good she was doing. I scrubbed her all over. After that I rinsed her and did the same thing all over again. It is a good thing I had all our dirty towels outside in a basket because I needed every one.  Finally I let her go. She was about as dry as I could get without a hair dryer and I know better than to try that. She hates my hair dryer.   She was still on the damp side. I let go of her collar, gave her some smooches and told how proud I was of her.   
  Sabella looked me in the eye and proceeded  to run straight for a dirt pile!  She flipped on her back and rolled around like a little pig.  She stopped for a minute to make sure I was watching and then she smiled at me. !***!!  I took off my filthy clothes, gathered up all my dirty towels putting everything in the much needed washing machine. I am clean; as for Sabella--well she smells better than she did. In fact we both do. This is just the first of many more baths now that I have an idea of how it will go. That is if I ever catch her again.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment