Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Miz Vicky Gets Her First and Last Tattoo...Part 1

  I can check another 'want to' plan off my bucket list. I have my first and last tattoo.    
 When Tommy joined the Marines his mother made him promise never to get a tattoo. He kept that promise. However, he did not want me to get one. He never was a fan of tattoo's on anyone. So I told him that as long as he lived I would not get a tattoo. This statement ushered in years of laughter, jokes, and discord. 
  Tommy watched t.v. all the time after we retired unless we had plans to do something. I can go days without turning on the television. My joke and promise to Tommy was if he died first...the remote would go with him. And it did.
  He always told me that he knew I would get a tattoo no matter how old I was if he died first. He was right. I did.
 He intended to fill my casket with all my art supplies and books put me in a boat and float me down the river. We made up all sorts of funny morbid stuff. We knew it was a lifetime away. And then one day it wasn't.
  I never knew what tattoo I wanted. It changed from year to year. I am so glad I did not get the symbol of a hand shooting the bird on my wazoo. I had that one picked out for years when I was young and wore bikinis. It would show above the bikini line. Why??? Who knows. We did a lot of crazy things back then. 
  Several months after Tommy died, I went to Florida to spend some time with Lisa and Lisle. That is when Lisa and I decided it was time for the 'tattoo'. I finally decided on the words, " If not now, when?" That is my new motto for life. Lisa got a dandelion blowing in the wind, with the words "Just Breathe".
   When we entered the tattoo parlor, we walked into another way of life. It was one of the best days of my life...so far.
   

4 comments: