Friday, May 4, 2018

The House Next Door...

   Yesterday was a big day for me. I picked up the keys to my rental home. It will be the first time in my life I have ever lived alone. In this day and age it is almost unheard of but remember I got married in 1969. I went straight from my parents to Tommy. I am really not sure how I feel about this house. What I want, I can't have so this is my next best option.
   I like my little house. Of course, I haven't moved in yet. It is convenient. It is in close walking distance to the brick district. I have a front and back porch.  It can be mowed with a push mower so that is all a plus. I can have fun making my backyard pretty.  While standing outside, I heard a rooster crow. I thought that was odd. I didn't see any chickens and I am in the downtown part of Fulton. I waited a little longer to see if the rooster crowed again. Nothing happened. I chalked it up to an overactive imagination and turned around to check out the front yard. It is very small and that is great. About that time the rooster crowed again. It sounded like it was coming from the condemned house next door to me. My landlady was still touching up some places with paint. I asked her if the house next door was vacant or had been condemned by the city. She said, "Yes". I was relieved and told her about the rooster. She stopped what she was doing and said something to the effect of, 'that crazy man is back.' I immediately wanted to know 'what crazy man' and how could he live in a home literally falling in and does the rooster belong to him???  She shrugged it off with a 'mmmm yes'. I swear I heard Tommy laugh!!! In fact, I heard Tommy laugh for several minutes while I mosey over and peek at the house next door. I didn't get too close to the house. I noticed some of the dead branches from "the crazy man's' tree are laying on my roof. To be continued as soon as Tommy quits laughing, the rooster quits crowing and I get my nerve up to move in.

No comments:

Post a Comment