Monday, August 21, 2017

Total Eclipse of the Sun 2017

  I have looked forward to the 2017 eclipse of the sun for about a week. When I woke up it was around 8:30 a.m. I put the coffee on first. Then I started to check the Weather Channel to see if our day was as warm and bright as had been forecasted.  For some reason, I decided to check my emails first. I was not alert enough to stop a jerk from using my confiscated debit card number.  He got me for almost $50. I called the bank immediately, when I realized what was going on, and made the transaction void. I had to make  a fast trip to town to get everything straightened out. I was also watching the time. I wanted to be home when the eclipse happened. I made it just as the beginning of the eclipse was visible from my home.
   I was anxious to see what would happen. The temperature on the way to Fulton was sultry and pushing the high 80's. It's not a very good day for naturally curly hair. When I returned home the eclipse was moving into our area. Tommy and I put on our solar glasses and started watching the eclipse. 
   While wearing the glasses, the sun appeared to be a vivid shade of orange with a slice, of what could easily have been a piece of pie, eaten by the moon.  A few minutes later we came back outside and by now two pieces of the pie was gone. I decided to stay out. The sun was changing fast and I didn't want to miss anything. Soon it was half a piece of pie missing, followed by another chunk of the sun. One slice of orange pie left and everything else was black.
   Things started to change as the last piece of the pie was eaten. The skies turned to dusk. My dusk to dawn light came on. The solar lights in my flower beds lit up. The temperature dropped about ten degrees. 
    
   


  This was taken when the sun was blocked and in a matter of minutes everything slowly returned to normal. The sun is shining and hot again.It was just was another Monday after all. . . with a little bit of magic thrown in.  My kind of day.

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment