Tuesday, May 27, 2014

An Unusual Conversation with one of my Characters...




     Finally, my mini movie and the voice decoder in my mind have returned in full force. They have been absent for a good part of the past six months while I  mourned the death of my best friend.

 It was next to impossible for me to write. It appears to be back with a new passion  and I for one am glad. I missed everything about writing.  I missed the swift mini movie of a story that played out in front of my eyes and in my mind in a split second; then waited for me to begin writing while the thoughts reoccurred....if they ever did.  I missed creating characters, story lines and the actual process of  writing. I missed typing. I missed my muse, I am glad she has sobered up and returned to my life.  I missed the smell of paper and ink. I missed seeing my own words on my computer screen.  I missed the slight high I get when I hit ' publish'. Although I think the blog or story is finished;  it seldom is the first time I post it...or the hundredth time in some cases.

     Today while I was mowing our yard, I had a war story on my mind and a horny 18 year old soldier, named Alex Griffin from my Memorial Day blog, stuck in my head.  He argued with me for 3 hours.  There had been almost six months of silence, so when he began talking.  I was glad...beyond glad.  I longed for a pad and pencil and to be on level ground so I could take notes.  Neither of those things were possible. However by the second hour, I was wishing he would sit down and shut up or stand still and get shot!  The last place I left him, he was in a horrible war scene, either choice could happen. His character turned out to be rather 'mouthy', opinionated and just a tad pushy...I did not see that coming when I created him. The last time I talked to him, he was a brave but scared young man.

     Alex started talking and fussing almost as soon as I began mowing.  We were racing up and down the yard, in third gear as he yammered in my ear. He was not happy with my Memorial Day blog.  First he started off by saying, "Why did you tell everyone I was a virgin?"  I was a little taken back by this question.  He is a character, I made him up...I can do and say what I want to about him....but No... this little boy wanted to argue and argue we did.  Silently... out loud... in my head...until my head was about ready to explode.  Tommy saw this process from his mower. He said I was "shaking my head, occasionally shooting the bird, and laughing at times." He went on to say, "I knew you were writing...I was just hoping it wasn't about me!!"

     Griffin also gripped because I did not let him talk. I explained, "This was more of an essay story than a talking story.  I didn't need for you to say anything!"  That went over like a burp during communion!  He wasn't satisfied with my answer. We compromised and if I write anymore about him (which I won't)...he gets to talk---some.

     Griff, wanted to know why I did not describe him?  I tried to explain, " everyone has their own image of what you look like."  Well, what do I look like to you?"  hmmmm I told him, "You look like Tommy did when he was 18.   Black hair, brown eyes, 5 ft. 9 inches tall with a killer smile. Others may see you as blond and tall, or a red head with green eyes. You look like what the reader sees."

     " Well, alright but next time spell it out for everyone."

     "Little boy, I am thinking there may not be a next time for you!" I scolded him. 

 He nitpicked for close to two more hours and then I quit mowing. I sat on the mower for a few minutes rehashing the past three hours.  My opinion of Griffin had changed somewhat.  He made the mowing interesting and time flew by for me. He also gave me several ideas I may use later. Those were the pros...the cons were he actually pissed me off at times!!  He aggravated me enough that  I may go back and redo the last two paragraphs of yesterday's blog.  Why???  Because I think I am gonna kill that little shit off...just because I can!  

 Although, in reality, I have to admit I like him...mouth and all.   He is a good soldier, in the process of growing up in a very hard era. He has a strong voice and doesn't mind voicing his opinion on his life!   He's a brave young man. After some internal debating, he is a  keeper as far as I am concerned...now to create him a girl... hmmm.  I can hardly wait to hear his input on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment