Saturday, November 22, 2014

Unlikely Allies...

   Two weeks ago I received a instant message from a friend I have never met in person, however that has never been a problem for us.  We know each other as friends should.  It is doubtful we will ever meet, face to face, in this lifetime. We became friends five years ago on Facebook, traded postcards and small gifts and then we began to trade stories about our lives.  She is my 'favorite Communists' and I am her 'favorite Capitalists'. 

There is a nine hour difference in our time zones mixed with a span of thousands of miles and an ocean to cross.  Often when we talk it is Sunday for her and still Saturday for me. I am retired and I keep odd hours because I like to write in the middle of the night. She is a new mother and her daughter does not sleep through the night yet. On those nights or early mornings, when neither of us can sleep,  we meet on our computers to trade life stories.

  The other night she asked me, "Vicky, do you think we will have another world war?"  I paused for a long time...thinking about the question.  She sent me another message, "Are you there?"

   "I'm here...I am thinking about your question." I replied. I was hesitant to answer her question.  My view of a world war had begun to play out in the news for months.  Our countries are basically enemies...and yet we are two mothers who are unlikely friends.  I finally said, "I think there will be another world war eventually."

  It was her turn to be quiet. Finally, I asked, "Are you there?"  After a deafening silence she said, "I'm here."  Several powerful minutes later she wrote, "I think so too." 

   I am sure we were both glancing at our computer screens while  thinking very serious frightening thoughts.  She was holding her infant daughter.  I was stirring a cup of lukewarm coffee and staring off into the space above my computer.

   At last I wrote, "I think I need to go... talk to you later."  Instantly she replied, "Me too..." 

   A poem by Robert Frost came to mind. I started to send a quote  to her but decided against it. She was taking care of her baby and that was much more important. However, the poem remains stuck in my mind:

    "Some say the world will end in fire.
      Some say in ice.
      From what I've tasted of desire
      I hold with those who favor fire..."

  I am afraid we have gone too  far to turn back now. The play is in motion.  We are just along for the ride.

  

  





   

  


1 comment: