Friday, April 3, 2015

Just as Soon as Tommy Drives Away...All Heck Breaks Loose...



Today is Tommy's 67th birthday. He is in a great mood for someone who really does not feel all that great. He has had a chest cold for two weeks. Some days he feels better than others. I hope today remains a good day.

 He is delighted with all the phone calls he has received. He gets a kick when I read him all his birthday  messages on Facebook.  When people from other countries wish him 'Happy Birthday', he thinks it is awesome. Of course I tell him all about my friends...again.  Neither one of us ever met a stranger.

A few minutes ago Tommy left to visit Ben.  I had every intention of going back to bed.  The first time I woke up this morning was around 4 a.m. when a round of thunderstorms descended on our six acres and had a party in the tree lines. It hailed and rained and then rained some more.  I went back to bed.  Around 5 a.m. Sabella, our fearless German shepherd woke me up scratching at our bedroom door. She is terrified of storms and wanted me up for company.  Begrudgingly, I made coffee while I consoled Sabella.  Tommy wakes up around 6 and our day officially begins. We are laughing and talking about how 'old' we are, while telling stories about past birthdays. We have been blessed with a very unusual kind of life. We enjoy our memories.

As soon as Tommy left, I trotted back to our bedroom to try and find some lost sleep. I was about to jump in bed when I heard something flutter in Tommy's hunting room. Then I heard a thump followed by another flutter.  Sure enough there was a blackbird in his room. The bird was terrified, as he tried to find a way out of the room; hitting each wall at least twice, before he found the door. I thought he would kill himself in the process of trying to escape.  He didn't have much luck in my room either.  I was trying to shoo him out our bedroom door and down the hall. The bird ignored my help.  Finally after thirty minutes and several lost feathers he finds the open back door and out he goes.  By then I was wide awake.  Sleep seemed like a wonderful memory that would not happened today.

According to old myths and superstition's it is bad luck to have a bird fly into a person's home. It means death. Personally, I disagree with this idea.  To me it means a bird made the wrong turn and got lost in a very lovely home.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment