Thursday, January 12, 2017

A Horrible Distortion of Reality...


  All summer and fall I  read everything I could get my hands on concerning my soon to be  bilateral knee replacement surgery. I was sure there was nothing left to chance and I was as prepared as anyone could be for the operation. It was scheduled for Wednesday Dec.14,2016. I was sooo wrong.

   Luckily, I was the first patient on the docket and for the next four days I knew nothing. Tommy and Tami said I woke up some and talked to them but I do not remember anything. 

   On the fifth day I was discharged to a rehab center. I vaguely remember the ride over and entering the facility. I had been taking a large amount of drugs to keep the pain at bay. Somewhere in those five days, the medicine became too strong for me and I began to hallucinate.  I could no longer tell what was real and what was not. I didn't tell anyone because I did not know what was going on. Hallucinations became my new normal.

  Tommy stayed with me during the day. Tami was in and out all the time. I trusted them but wouldn't tell them anything. I was afraid someone would hear what I was saying. I had no plan and could not stay awake long enough to make a plan. I swore the staff was not feeding me. Later I found out they were, I just refused to eat.

 My room was across from the nurses station so I could hear everything that was NOT being said. I knew they had a hidden intercom in my room. I could hear it click off and on.They were listening to me. That was when I became quite and covered my head under my blankets. I needed to be invisible. Eventually, I cracked my door open, or thought I did, and saw an entire new staff working. I have a vivid picture of each person that 'worked' that night and none of them existed. I remember their voices, their laughs and yet not one person existed except in my mind. I heard the screams as people were beaten and raped. I heard the man next door beg for his life. I also heard when he died. 

 At 4 a.m. I called Tommy at home and asked him to come get me. He was awake and answered on the second ring. He said he felt all night something was wrong with me.  He begged me to tell him what was going on. I said I would tell him when he got here and then mentioned people had been murdered and raped and he needed to be careful once he arrived. He was speechless. The ice covered roads were horrible and it took him twice as long to get to the hospital. I heard staff talking about the dead bodies. One man said there were at least two. The nurse said,"Don't worry, I will take care of everything." 

  Eventually the night ended. The sun began to rise and shine through my bedroom window. For the first time all night, I thought I would live.

  When the charge nurse and Tommy walked through my door I literally crawled up Tommy. He held me so tight and just let me cry. He wanted to know what had happened to me. I was whispering in his ear that I couldn't talk while the nurse was in the room with us. "She was one of them!"

  The nurse kept trying to find out what was going on. Apparently, during the night I also called someone and told them I wanted to be discharged in the morning. I have no clue if this is true or not. Anyway, I kept Tommy between me and the nurse and refused to say anything. We looked like we were playing an awkward game of 'Ring around the Roses' or 'Keep Away.' 

  Finally the nurse left to call the doctor and they decided to cut my medication in half. I would only take it on a PRN basis. The less medication I took, the clearer my mind became. However, my hallucinations seemed so real. Most of what happened I can't remember in detail but it is still in there somewhere; like a shadow, close but just out of reach; dark and out of proportion.

  I talked to several people about what happened to me and about how real it felt, even though I knew it was the medication -it felt real. I saw the people and I heard the voices.  Nurses talked to me and explained that not everyone can take the same medication.  What happened to me is fairly common. The patient just has to ride the trip out. It took me about three days for the medication to leave my system. Slowly, I began to piece some of my hallucinations and reality into a viable answer. The 'poolroom' and nightly drug deals turned out to be aides stacking chairs for the next morning. I wasn't hearing a break in the balls on the nonexistent pool table as fights broke out over drugs. Things returned to normal in my mind. 

  I worked with the criminally insane for over twenty years. I sat with patients who were terrified of the demons who lunged at them in the dark. The staff took care of each and every patient as best we could. Their demons were real to them and no amount of medication could make them leave. At times it would let them sleep but when they woke up they were back in the same mess.I have a new empathy for these unfortunate people. It would be horrible to loose permanent touch with reality.  Some patients recovered enough to return to the community, others will never leave their walled environment. 

  I remember when I worked at the hospital, I always was checking to make sure I had my keys. That is also one of the things I kept doing while I was hallucinating, I kept trying to find my keys. I had no pockets and was not on a locked ward. But in my mind I was. I was in rehab for knee surgery. So were most people in my section of the center. Thank God for that.



 I made it home for Christmas Eve. I am doing great. I continue to go to physical therapy at a closer facility. I can walk on my own and am healing nicely. Thank you all for the cards, flowers and prayers.


 
  

  

  

 

2 comments:

  1. Vicki you look great, and I'm glad your surgery was a success, minus the bad dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melody...And thank you for talking with me before surgery. You were right about everything.

    ReplyDelete