Sunday, October 1, 2017

Just Because a Person Can do Something---Doesn't Mean They Should


  It is no secret our country is divided. The division is worse than I have seen since the sixties. The sixties were filled with hate, rage, guns,riots, stoning's, assassinations,  and entire communities set on fire. We had a war that divided our nation. Politicians were refusing to let our soldiers win; or pull them out before so many of them died.  Lies became the new normal.That was then, this is now.   Life as I know it now seems to be taking a huge step backwards.
  Right now the United States is in an uproar because some of the NFL players are taking a knee instead of standing and placing their hands over their hearts and honoring our flag. I do not agree with this act at all. I personally think it is disrespectful and has nothing to do with football.  As far as I am concerned they are there to play football and that is it.  BUT I am thankful I live in a country where you can be disrespectful and not shot, or jailed because they have a different view point. There are so many countries  where the people do not have the privilege to disagree with their government. Will I watch their games--no. Will I buy a jersey--no. But I want the option on board for others who do not think like I do to have the chance to see the games and wear the jerseys.
   I do not want to see one law passed that says everyone has to stand and salute the flag; or that the people of this country can no longer stand and salute our flag.  Standing to salute the flag  should be taught before the child ever goes to school.  It is in the NFL rule book already. So the NFL should take care of this problem.  We still have some common sense left where some decision belong to the individuals and their organization  and not the government regardless if I agree with them or not. And I do not agree with them! 
 The reason I feel this way, is because I believe there will come a time when the United States we semi know now, will become a country where the government will want to take over every facet of our lives. There will come a time when we will have a new Constitution that no longer makes any common sense.  It will not be written 'of the people and by the people'.  It will be a time when free speech will cost you your life. When protesting will be done at the expense of your life or a family member's life. When standing up for what you believe in or kneeling for what we believe in, will cost protesters our lives.
   It is slowly creeping in. I shake my head and feel a pain deep in my gut that America has seen her best days.
   I love my country, warts and all, but I hate to see people try to erase  our past. Two hundred year old statutes have been torn down by people who hate what the statue stood for. They are just memories of our past. They are not promoting any hate. The statues are a reminder when life was different and our ancestors fought and changed it.
   It is almost like finding an old scrapbook of your life. Looking at all the photos of yourself as a baby, your family, your great great grandparents, most of whom you never met. Yet their blood line still runs through your veins. To destroy that scrapbook would be a shame. Because once it is gone, all those memories and photos are gone too. Never to be replaced.
   Life goes by fast and it is very precious. I leave you with one thought that has always been a big part of my life.  "Just because you can do something does not mean you should."  Think farther than your hate, and fear. Use common sense when making decisions that will affect hundreds of people. Don't throw that brick, burn that store or shoot someone just because they are different. Think long and hard what the end result will be. There is always a day coming when the shoe will be on the other foot. Make decisions you can live with.
   

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Vicky! We all need to wake up and take notice. I sure don't want to live through another 1968.

    ReplyDelete