Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Glimpse From the Past

           Last week I received a "vintage postcard" in the mail. It has all the possibilities of being one shade less than life altering for me.  Well, maybe not "life altering" but it has definately started me down the path to a new hobby.   It immediately envoked all the nostalgia of 1934.  It set my imagination free to wander about the people associated with the card. Were they friends-certainly- lovers-maybe. They could also be family members, perhaps cousins. All I know for sure, is that Frank knew Abbie well enough to know that she would appreciate the picture of the painting on the postcard.  He thought about her when he saw the card.  He took the time to mail it to her.

            I wonder what kind of woman Abbie Barber was?  Was she waiting to hear from Frank?  Checking the mailbox each day, hoping to hear from him?  Or was she surprised and delighted to get a card from a man in Instanbul?
      


         The man, Frank L. Hewith, who sent Abbie the card was either visiting or living in Istanbul, Turkey. He mailed the card on Dec.11, 1934 and she received it on Christmas Eve. Was she overjoyed when she got his card?  Did it make her Christmas perfect?  I wonder if her parents were upset that he wrote their daughter? Did that card change the feeling in the air of Christmas in their home that year? There is no way to know the answers to these questions. Ahhh, but the imagination can wander and make up all kinds of romantic scenerios.
        
           There is something exciting and intriguing about owning a "vintage postcard". It is a glimpse of an era I never knew and people I will never meet. Probably people who are long since gone. I hope they had a happy life...each in their own way.  If they were meant to be together---then I hope it was a wonderful life.  When Frank saw the postcard of the Italian boats, was he wishing they were there together? We will never know---but I have a very romantic story in mind.

1 comment:

  1. I never know what I'm going to read about when I view your blog, Mama, and you never let me down. This made me smile today, and I'm so glad there are still people in this world that think and dream as you do. It's intoxicating how you appreciate the little things and remind me to do the same. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete