Wednesday, June 5, 2013

No One Needs a Perfect Body to Enjoy the Ocean...Thank God!!!

 
The ocean is my favorite place to visit. In fact, it would be therapeutic for me to  live on the coast for at least a few months each year. To be a member of a  writer's group who met somewhere near the ocean would indeed be helpful. My mind responds to the sounds and smells of the wind and the waves.  Stories and memories come easy there. I feel freer there than anywhere.

My muse and I both know the ocean is good for me. It relieves the stress I carry around in my mind and in my neck.  It does a miracle massage on my body and lifts my spirits until I feel like a kid again. For me, it is the whole healing package compiled in beautiful drops of blue, green, and turquoise colors belonging to rippled salt water. I like the feel of sand between my toes and the smell of ocean water on my skin. I wish I could bottle that smell just for me.

Most people at the ocean are uninhibited by their looks and actions. They are on a mission to enjoy life in its basic home. Each person trying to soak up a wonderful dose of freedom.  Generally, the people I have met at the Naples Pier seldom speak English. They probably can but choose not to. I completely understand their train of thought. I do not talk a lot when I am at the ocean, either.  I try to absorb every color, smell, or touch I can by any means possible. I savor these emotions to be conjured up again on days when I am back in Missouri and the snow or mud is knee deep. The temperature is  hovering around 20 degrees, with winds blowing from the west and north dropping the wind chill into the single digits. I have a feeling most of the visitors are doing the same thing as I am.

The older people on the beach do not care how they look. I like that idea very much...mainly because I am an older person. I had my day of wearing the red bikini and having a tan to die for. Now it is freeing and liberating to be exactly the way I am without caring what anyone else thinks. Life is a gift to every person and it is given in stages. We couldn't contain all the magic if we received everything all at once. We absorb what we can digest at the time. We file the rest away to be used when the time is right. Life comes in dribs and drabs and in days, weeks and years. It comes and it goes...

While I was studying the ocean and  thinking about life, I spotted a lady and her daughter who were from Germany.  We had spoken while in the ocean when several dolphins swam by us. They put their umbrella and towels in the vicinity of where Lisa and I were setting.  Both women were wearing bikinis. The daughter firm and tan. The mother still looked good to be in her 50's. She didn't have her daughter's body nor did her daughter have her mother's memories or experiences. It was a fair trade off.

In front of them sat 3 teenage boys, who were in and out of the water, oggling  the pair of ladies behind them. This scene played out all over the beach. 

After several dips in the ocean, I was so relaxed I slept for awhile. I could hear laughter and the ocean far, far away in the back of my mind. It was a good place to be in the circle of my life.

                     
                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment