Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bring on the Fog...



Yesterday began with a dense fog so thick I was unable to see the woods that surrounds our home. When I took our two dogs outside, a few minutes before daylight; the air was sharp, stabbing as bits of ice hit my face. The dogs were fifty feet ahead of me when I  lost them in the fog. I could hear their feet running through the remains of snow and slush. I walked around the yard and out to the pond enjoying the view I was not seeing.

  When I looked in the direction of my house  all I could see was a light yellow hazy structure. I no longer saw a home badly in need of paint. It looked fine in the fog.  As I walked closer to the pond, I spied reeds and tree branches encased in a icy glow of surreal gray. No longer did the pond need to be cleaned out. It was beautiful just the way it appeared. 

                                            
The images I saw were inaccurate but enjoyable for a change. The trees in the distance resembled the faint outline of mountains instead of a forest. My imagination was in overdrive as I walked. Mentally taking notes of slightly misshapen ordinary sights in my yard.

My hair became wet from the fog. It was slowly becoming plastered to my head...not a good look for me at all.  My clothes felt damp.  I decided to walk back to the house to drink my first cup of coffee and shower. The fog was cold, reaching deep, trying to touch my bones. A hot shower would feel wonderful.

I enjoyed that brief span of time however I was ready for my home. I was ready for coffee and to say good morning to friends and family on face book. I was ready to make enough noise to 'accidentally' wake Tommy. I was ready to reclaim my life...just the way it is.

 While walking back to the house I got an idea for a chapter in the  book I am working on,  tentatively called "The House that Jack Built".  Strange the things that walk in and out of the fog. I can hardly wait to write the scene I am seeing in my minds eye. Jack is sooo bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment