Friday, December 20, 2013

I am Having a ' Vicky Carter Kind of Day.'..



I've only been awake two hours and I already know what kind of day I will have.  My friends and family call it a "Vicky Carter Kind of Day". We know from experience, very little if anything will go as planned during this time frame.

 It all  began last night around 8:30 p.m. I had my second sleep apnea test...this one wearing various different kinds of masks. Trying to find one that would work best for me. I was told last night that my oxygen level when I sleep is anywhere from 87 to 92 and that I quit breathing on the average of 60 or more times a night. I was appalled. The technician wasn't. She said "This is a mild case." and I am thinking 'for you maybe...but you aren't the one not breathing.'

The masks vaguely resemble a big eyed roach, a nose of a mouse, and a alien.  Wouldn't you know,  the "alien" is the one that works for me.  The only good side to this crazy mess is--- the one I need is just like Tommy's. We can be scary together...and we will.

The technician applies the glue to numerous places on my body and head,  finally she hooks up wires attached to a machine.  Then tells me to "jump in bed and have a good nights rest." Right! 

I slept all night...go figure.  When she woke me up at 5 a.m. I felt good. I had maintained an oxygen level of  97 all night. I was amazed that I really did feel much better than usual.

I hadn't put my glasses on yet,  when my cell phone rings. I thought it was Tommy so I answered saying  in a voice reserved for him, "Good morning Shithead!!!  Is the coffee ready yet??"  Silence for a second and then Carol's mother says, "Vicky, is that you?"  mmmm, "Yes ma'am this is me." If the earth opened up and swallowed me---I would have been relieved.

She wants to know if she has caught me at a bad time. I explain what is going on and she laughs and hangs up. I will call her back later. She knows me well, I won't have to explain a lot.

I leave the hospital without combing my hair because it is pointless...it is full of glue. I can't wait to get home and shower. I race through my back door. Tommy is still asleep so I make the coffee. And I get ready to jump in the shower only to find we have NO HOT WATER!!!  I ran into the laundry room and began flipping switches. Nothing, I do it again...nothing. Finally, something clicks and I hear the hot water heater start to fill up. I also hear my computer click on and scan a sheet of paper telling me how much ink I have in my computer cartridge. I had not touched my computer. The answering machine gurgles and dies...needing to be reset. I stand in the middle of the den wondering why the hot water heater, computer and answering machine are all hooked up together. Who knows!!! I know for a fact, they aren't supposed to be. I guess I really did flip  more than one switch while trying to turn on the hot water.  Note to self...don't do that!

It is now 8:03 a.m. This is just the beginning of another 'Vicky Carter kind of day'. I have these days more often than I care to admit. Everything I do during that 24 hour period is just a tad off. I am either a step ahead or two steps behind, however the dice roll, I am not in sync with the world. For the past two weeks my mind has worked wrong and slow. It is hard to concentrate and to make decisions. Words no longer come easy.  Personally, I would like to check out for a few weeks. It is a lousy time for Christmas.

Today we have to feed Carol's cats and make a one hundred twenty mile round trip to Jefferson City to visit Punky, Carol's sister. Somewhere in the mix we will eat dinner. Neither one of us wants to cook today. Sounds simple however I doubt if it will be.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment