Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Saint Patrick's Day...



If I were a dog, I would be a mutt of mixed origins without a pedigree or blood line to impress my owners.  This comparison closely resembles my genetics, my heritage. There is no pure blood line; nor is there one nationality I can completely call my own.  I am an American. I am a mixture of immigrants from across the ocean. My ancestors came from countries I have never seen and spoke languages I never learned. In spite of this fact, their blood runs through my veins; we are isolated, unknown strangers sharing DNA and a few names and dates written on snippets of ancient yellowed paper.

Monday March 17th is St. Patrick's Day and all the Irish will be celebrating with traditional food, drink, dance and stories of their heritage. I will be celebrating with them as well; however I will not have any stories of life in Ireland to share. My story is hidden in a line or two of a document found years ago in an old family Bible.

 Jane Anderson was born in Ireland and eventually moved with her family in 1833 to New York. It was there she met my future great, great, great grandfather, John Muscovalley. He was 23 years old and had been a sailor for several years. He was born and raised on an island named Mytilene, off the coast of Greece. Jane and John married setting out on an unknown adventure aboard a river boat bound for New Orleans. The young couple departed the boat at Columbus, Kentucky. They were farmers and the parents of eight children. This is all I know about them. My mother's side of the family originated from these people.

My father's family tree can be traced back to Evan Humphreys whose birth date ranged from 1645-1650.  He was born in Lampathy, England. Years later he married Jane Harris who was born on April 18,1679. They also immigrated to America, and settled in Brunswick County, Virginia. They were the parents of two sons, Robert and John. The boys grew up and eventually moved to North Carolina, where their written story ends.

Mama Pearl, my father's mother,  family tree goes back to George Jones who lived in Virginia in 1774. There are no other records or information.  The same can be said for my grandfather, Harry Poe. I have great stories of his immediate family but little information about his history.

I have always wondered about these people; my invisible family from so many lifetimes ago.  The stories intriguing to me are personal  as well as historical facts. Did they have a good sense of humor; were they tall or short, handsome or ordinary looking?  I wonder if there were any artists, writers, dreamers or teachers in this long line of unknown people;  which side of the family had the most 'black sheep' and why?  There are many unanswered questions concerning multitude's of people who were left out of the lineage. They faced many hardships and wars. Were they brave or cowards? Did they fight for the 'right' cause; or did they have no political persuasion at all?  Would I have liked them and would they have liked me? 

Each person had a story, choosing to not pass it on or write it down for future generations to read about; perhaps they could not read or write. Perhaps they thought no one would care about their lives. It is very possible they were working too hard, trying to stay alive to care what future generations would like to know.  I would  love to know their stories, especially little things concerning family traditions:  how they celebrated  birthdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas?  I would like to know about their faith; were they Christians or non believers and why?  I would like to know if they had a trade. I would like to know if they loved their children and were good parents...did they love each other or did they marry for necessity and convenience...were they happy?

Regardless of how little I know about my ancestors, tomorrow on St. Patrick's Day I will remember 'Miss Jane Anderson' of Ireland.  Tommy and I will eat the best Reuben sandwich at The Fulton Sub Shop. There is also a good chance that later tomorrow night we shall have a Miller Lite with a smidge of green food coloring and toast to relatives unknown. 

                                  Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment