Sunday, June 14, 2015

Tornado Warning...Who Knew???


  Yesterday was one of those days when it was next to impossible for me to make a decision.  I am not usually this way.  I wake up with a plan and an agenda.  I may not do the plan but I have one just in case. 

   When we woke up yesterday  morning we kicked the idea around about going  to the movies to see "San Andreas".  For two weeks we have debated about when to see this movie.  Since it was the last day it played in Fulton, we either had to go to town or wait and buy the DVD. I checked the times the movie  played. It was showing at 1:30 and 7:20. We checked the weather channel and we were in a 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms category.   For me that meant my hair was going to frizz and refuse to do anything vaguely normal.  It also meant I had to get dressed.  Neither of those options sounded like fun to me.  I threw the ball of indecision at Tommy.  He had no preference one way or the other. To quote him, "Whatever you want to do is fine with me".  Just that quick the ball of indecision was sent back to me.  I changed my mind four times. The storms were responsible for two decisions,  our bathroom mirror was responsible for the third, a nap knocked out the 1:30 time slot. However, the 7:20 time slot was still an option. I really did not want to go to the movies or we would have gone. It was that simple, or should have been. The  five year old child's voice, who rents a room in my head,  reared its mouthy little fuzzy noggin and said, "We are staying home on a Saturday night...Why???  I want to go to town. I want to see a movie!  Everyone has plans but us...I want to go somewhere!"  Then she stomped her foot.  So, I took that little heifer to the garage. She shut up and sulked for the rest of the afternoon.  Tommy was in the process of moving my potting soil around to make more room for a swing he put up for us yesterday.

  The skies were getting dark and a low rumble of thunder could be heard all around our area. Summer lightning flashed behind black clouds illuminating their portion of the heavens. Soon Tommy and I were sitting in the swing watching as a perfect lightning show began to perform for us.  Our dogs were close by our side. Sabella would have been in Tommy's lap if she didn't weigh 125 pounds. Sandy, is almost deaf and wanted to go in the house to take a nap. She stayed by my right foot for the duration of the storm. She wasn't particularly happy.  She sighed many times, looked at me with her big brown eyes and flopped her head down on her blanket...completely exasperated with me and  her life at that moment.

   Tommy and I had a wonderful time. The storm was intense and long. Rain pounded the already saturated ground. I am sure we received an inch of rain if not more. The summer lightning changed from quick flashes to jagged spears, miles long, ripping the skies wide open for a few seconds,  while pouring out a vile of  Mother Natures wrath. The thunder shook the ground and the garage.

  Suddenly, the black clouds joined forces to form a wall front. It was a solid mass of blackness for a few seconds.  The wall began to unravel.  Tommy and I both said at the same time, "Anything could drop out of that mass."  Clouds attempted to drop but fell apart before they could become a funnel. They failed to create a tornado ...it wasn't because they didn't try.  The storm finally moved on  while we waited for round two to arrive. We made a mad dash to the house, laughing like two kids. It was amazing. We had a great time...then we turned on the weather channel and found out we had been spared the wrath of a tornado. The warning had expired. I looked at Tommy saying, "That was a great show and a close call!  Let's stay home."  Tommy laughed, "Finally, we have a plan."  And we did...sort of.






The photo is a postcard I purchased years ago on Zazzle. All rights belong to the photographer.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment