Monday, September 7, 2015

Tommy Wanted to Kill Me Friday...

    Last week was the week from Hell for Tommy.  He worked hard, 8 hours a day, doing manual labor for a couple of friends.  When he came home at night he looked like death warmed over.  He actually stumbled in the back door one night. No matter what I said, he was determined to work...and work he did. When he was young he worked like this but he isn't young and he is retired.  We don't work hard.  That defeats the whole purpose of retiring. Every day he promised me he would take it easy and rest. He lied.

   I knew he would not have time to rest before our trip to Kentucky.  I was right. He woke up at 3:30 a.m. Friday morning and got me up at 4.  We were out the door and on the way to Kentucky by 5 a.m.

   The trip down was nice and easy going.  Once we arrived in Clinton we stopped to visit with our good friend John Kelly Ross. I also talked with Lou Conner. It was a pleasure to see these old friends again. John has the best sense of humor, and can tell a story perfectly.

    Tommy and I decided to spend the night in Union City, Tenn.   We paid for our room but had to wait for it to be cleaned. This left us 2 hours to kill. Tommy was tired, hungry and did I mention tired, well if I didn't. . . he was TIRED... and while I am at it I will throw in Grumpy too.   'We' could not decide what Tommy wanted to do!  He wanted to wash the truck but was hungry. He needed to sleep but had no room to lay down. At that time there was no room in the inn.  He decided to wash his truck first, then eat, and finally try the motel again. 

    Fine by me,  I was only thirsty.  I remembered we had 5 small bottles of frozen strawberry water in our cooler.  That was all I wanted. . . a drink of water.  I opened a bottle while Tommy was trying to pull out into oncoming traffic.  Never once did it enter my mind that such a simple thing could cause me so much trouble.  But it did. There was no stop light, it was jump and go kind of driving.   The four lane was busy with people on their lunch break. No one would let us out of the driveway or into the traffic.  Finally, there was a slight pause in the traffic allowing Tommy to jump in a lane.  That is about the time I opened my water bottle.  The cap and about an inch of ice, the size of a bullet, shot out of my bottle and hit the windshield.  KABOOM!!!  It bounced back and hit me in the chest.  I screamed, Tommy screamed, and then I fell over in one of those uncontrollable laughing fits that only happen to me when I am too tired and have lost all control of my emotions.  Tommy yelled at me to see if I was alright, because he thought someone had fired a shot at us and I was hit and crying.  I squeaked through a round of gut laughter, "I- I- I am fine".    He was scared and  furious. I should have been but I wasn't so, I continued to laugh.  Every time I thought of how  that scene must have looked, I started laughing all over again. Snorting, eyes watering, nose running kind of laughter.  Tommy was soooo through with me. The only reason he didn't pull over and try to put me out, is because he knew I wouldn't budge.

   We washed the truck and he was mad!  We ate lunch and he was mad. Finally, we make it back to the motel and he was mad. He did get some sleep, when he woke up he was not mad anymore. 

    Me???  I still think it is one of the funniest things to happen to us this year, and we have a long list of funny mishaps so far. . . and it is only the beginning of September.   For some reason, I do not think Tommy will ever think, at least this year, this day in our life was funny. Some day he will, but not today and I am pretty sure not tomorrow.   I am still laughing as I type these last words...and I know funny when I see it, after all I live with him and we share this crazy experience called life.  Thankfully, most of the time, it is funny indeed. We need to realize this more often.
 
   

    

2 comments:

  1. You're right - it is funny! I'm working at the library reference desk right now and trying not to laugh out loud. LOVE your blog. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog. Carolyn, you just made my day!!

    ReplyDelete