Thursday, September 24, 2015

Who is that Person in the Mirror?

    I like the quote to the left. "What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." However, I think it is a quote for younger people.  As people age, I have noticed many tend to live in the past.  I catch myself doing this often. Nothing in life prepares a person for getting older.  It happens while we are busy with our daily lives and goals. The young think the world was made for them and they will never age.  There is no reason for them to worry.  Everything life has to offer is before them.   As older adults, we find ourselves looking back often analyzing our lives.  Questioning decisions we made, and chances we took.  One year turns into ten years, before we realize it. Then ten years turn into twenty, once again before we know it, we are staring retirement in the face. We live with the choices we made.  The stressful part of life is over. It is time to do all the things that were put on hold while we lived a productive family life. This is where it gets tricky.

   In my mind I am about forty, the rest of my body disagrees. When I go clothes shopping,  I have to go to the other end of the rack now instead of the skinny section.  Occasionally, I am in the wrong store.  I look around at the clothes and think, 'Hmmm I wore these clothes in the 70's. I am not sure I want to wear them again.'  I find a more 'age appropriate store' and look at what a 66 year old woman should wear and I say, "Oh, Hell No!" and I find myself in the first store . . . again.  Looking desperately for something that doesn't show my ass or my bust.  Good luck with that!  Apparently, when I was young, I showed a lot more of myself than I realized at the time. 

    I ramble around until I find something that will work.  A little bit of this and a touch of that and before you know it I am ready to go home.  Mother Nature and I have split the difference. I can live with that if she can.

     As I sit here, I have a heart monitor hooked up to my chest sending a continuous ECG to someone --somewhere. They are looking inside my heart for the next thirty days.  That has to be one boring job. I doubt if anyone is really looking.  I lost the cell phone transmitting all this crap yesterday and no one called to see if I was dead!  That was reassuring.

    It is an odd feeling knowing there is more time behind me than in front of me.  On the other hand, I have achieved almost everything I wanted to in life. No complaints there.  When Tommy and I retired we had a simple plan.

    1.  Do something productive every day.
    2.  Witness more sunsets and dawns.
    3.   Learn something new each week.
    4.   Stop wearing a watch.
    5.   Pursue any unfulfilled desires.
    6.   Find a way to share our blessings.

   Lacey and Melodi will have a baby in the Spring. A grandchild is a huge blessing and something we all look forward to. Jacy and Logan are busy growing up. Jace is a teenager now and Logan isn't far behind.  Lisa and Lisle are in the process of moving to a new home. Both of them have jobs they really like.  Lisa is working on her Masters degree.  Tami, continues to write books and seek God's plan for her life.  There is a lot going on in our family, just like it is in everyone's family. Vacations have occurred and more are planned. Hobbies started--hobbies stopped. It is a busy time in this gift called 'life'.  The other day, I heard someone on the radio say, "We are only given so many trips around the sun.  Make the most of them."  I am inclined to agree with that statement.

  

    
   
       

No comments:

Post a Comment