Wednesday, February 8, 2017

When I am Wrong---I am Really Really Wrong...

   Last Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday. Tommy and I decided we would watch the game, eat pizza and celebrate the day along with over 140 million other people, give or take a few million.  

   I am a Bronco's and a Chief's fan. Tommy likes Tampa Bay and Green Bay so we really didn't have a team in this game. I had watched the Falcons play in the playoffs and I was pretty sure they would beat the Patriots. They were fast and hungry for the win. The Patriots had won four Super Bowl games and I thought it was time for some new blood in the trophy room.  We picked our teams, just like we pick our horses in the Kentucky Derby, and we were ready for the game to begin. I picked Atlanta and Tommy went with the Patriots. The popcorn was dished up and we were ready to be entertained. The pizza and beer was waiting in the kitchen.

   From the first kick off, the Falcons were playing their A-Game. Tom Brady was sacked three times. I almost switched teams because I hated to see Brady get pounded. Everything went wrong. If he threw long, it was intercepted. He was completely taken out of his game. Tommy and I could not believe what we were watching. Then came half time. The Falcon's led 21-3. We were speechless.  Lady Gaga's performance was great. The crowd roared in appreciation. We liked most of the  new commercials. In fact, we were enjoying ourselves. We were reliving the first half and second guessing all the bad and good plays. 

   About this time my new knees started in on what I call the "walkies". Starting between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. my knees are ready to go to bed. They can not be still. They need to walk, stretch and lay down.  Once in bed, it takes thirty minutes for them to find a place that does not ache. It does not matter what the rest of my body wants to do. For the time being these two are calling the shots. I have started taking a sleeping pill as soon as the 'walkies' show up. About thirty minutes after
I take the pill I am ready to go to bed.  I took it as the third quarter started.  

   The Falcon's were 28-3 with under three minutes left in the third quarter. My eye lids got heavy. I decided to go to bed. After all who comes back to win a Super Bowl game when they are down by 21 points going into the fourth quarter?  As far as I was concerned the sleeping pill won and so did the Falcons and we went to bed. 

   The next morning I made coffee and turned on the news to see the final score. Imagine my surprise when I find out the final score was 34-28 and the Patriots had won!!! I was beside myself with flabbergasted unbelief. I yelled for Tommy.  He was as surprised as I was. His team won!!

    Without a doubt we missed the best fourth quarter in the the history of football.  Oh we watched it as it was replayed over and over the next day. But nothing takes the place of seeing it as history is being made. The Patriot's won and it was amazing. Tom Brady marched through Atalanta much like Sherman did 152 years ago when he made his march through Atlanta.  He was on fire and Brady lit that stadium up!! While I slept thinking Atlanta had won. Hmmmm.....
   

No comments:

Post a Comment