Sunday, January 8, 2012

What Elvis Meant to Me



If memory serves me right, today would have been Elvis Presley's 77th birthday.  He was born on Jan.8,1935 in Tupelo, Mississippi.  He was a twin and the only child to survive. He brother's name was Jesse Garren, thoughts of him haunted Elvis for most of his life.  It is reported that Elvis "talked" to Jesse and felt guilty that he was the one to live. Understandably so, even though it was a burden a little boy should never have to carry.  I can understand where he got this idea and how it molded parts of his psyche.

Elvis was 14 years older than me.  By the time I was old enough to appreciate music, he was the "King of Rock and Roll", and had changed music for all time. 


The first and only record player I ever owned came with a stack of Elvis records.  I listened to them over and over. My mother liked Elvis' music even more than I did.  She took me to see all his movies.  That was a good memory for me.

Mama couldn't drive at that time.  We would catch the Greyhound bus in Clinton and ride to Fulton to see a movie, get ice cream or shop.  Then we'd catch another bus back to Clinton.  We did this almost every Saturday or Sunday.  I looked forward to this each week.


My mother was beautiful and more than one bus driver had his eye on her.  Mouthy little kid that I was, I ran interference for her. I remember telling more than one man off.  Informing him that "my Daddy would not like us going out with him!!" I was about 5 and didn't know they were divorced.  Mama just told me Daddy had to work "in construction" and traveled all the time.  For some reason that satisfied me.  Whenever Daddy would show up, I was elated.  In fact, I usually puked over and over the first night I knew he was at Mama Pearls. I was so excited to see him and then he would be gone again, just like he arrived.

When Elvis got drafted in 1958, I was 9 years old.  I was afraid he would get shot. I cried.  Mama explained that he would be stationed somewhere safe and not to worry.  When I said my prayers at night they always included and, "Jesus bring Elvis home safely".  And He did.  Two years later he was discharged.


He made more songs, more movies and by the time I was 13 the Beatles were on the scene and I was "In LOVE WITH PAUL McCARTNEY"  The Beatles consumed our generation. They changed our music and to some extent our lives. The 60's were alive and well and ready for a change---and change we got!!

The world still reeks from some of our decisions.  However, it was a good time to be a teenager. The music rocked and was awesome.  Admittedly we pushed the limits on just about everything, but we have some great memories to share.  I think the statue of limitations has run out on most of the things we did:)

Elvis still recorded songs and had hits. His music evolved too. Then one day on August 16, 1977, Elvis was found dead at his home in Graceland.  I was working at a factory then in Union City, Tennessee. It was a horribly hot southern, humidity filled day. The air conditioner at the factory had quit and we were all just about sick from the heat.  As soon as I walked in the door, Lisa told me Elvis was dead.  I hadn't heard and I was sure someone had killed him.  He was too young to die.  I raced to turn on the t.v., coverage was everywhere--on each channel and the radio.


We soon learned the facts, or as much as the press was allowed to tell us. We mourned his death.


I believe there are some people who are bigger than life.  They can't age, get old like the rest of us.  We won't allow it.  They have to always remain beautiful, young, vibrant and forced to deal with their demons by themselves.


This is the way it was for James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis Presley.  They were all bigger than life, charismatic and troubled and we loved them.  All these years later, we still do.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Elvis. And your so right. I often wonder if they would have maintained the almost untouchable status had they lived? RIP

    ReplyDelete