Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Run Charlie Run.....

 

              Last Saturday was an unusually hot day.  I only ventured out early in the morning or late in the evening , unless there was a special reason I was forced outside.

       A friend of ours stopped by needing a bucket to put minnows in.  His bucket had a leak and he couldn't keep the water in it.  No problem, we have plenty of buckets.  I gave him 2 and told him if he needed more to help himself.  As we were talking, we heard a horrible sound like a cannon being fired.  Both of us jumped, knowing me I probably screamed, it happened so fast I can't remember exactly what either of us did.  

    Charlie looked at me like I had tried to kill him.  Soon we got our wits about us and realized that a dead tree behind the garage had just split in half and fallen to the earth. It literally shook the garage.


    We went around the back of the garage to investigate. Sure enough there was the downed tree.  Charlie kept shaking his head saying, "This is really weird!!  I have never been to any one's house when a tree explodes and falls to the ground."


    Being the kind of person I am and knowing Charlie for years, I decided to mess with him a little. I also knew he had been drinking beer, that just added fuel to the fire in my imagination.  I told Charlie, "Things like this happen here all the time."  He looked at me like I was the devil and said, "Really??"  He started backing up and walking to his truck.  I followed him, "Yep they really do"


   I asked him if he wanted another bucket. By the look on his face I don't think he wanted the two in his hand.  He stammered a bit and said," Ahh, no this is plenty. I need to go!"  


   I wished him good luck fishing.  As he started his truck I told him the next time he came down the woods might catch on fire.  I have no clue where that statement came from.  All I know is Charlie left in a hurry, missing 3rd gear completely.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment