Monday, October 7, 2013

Just Because You Have a Ticket...Does not Mean You are Going to Fly Anywhere...



I have several blogs to write about Melodi and Lacey's wedding, however I am waiting for the photos to get processed. I should get them tomorrow. What I intend to write about today is my return flight.

I love airports. They are a mixture of colors, languages, hugs, kisses, laughter and tears. The aromas of all the different food courts assaults the nose and tugs at the tummy. Everyone is in a hurry. Most people are halfway lost, working extremely hard on not being totally lost. Each person crammed into this small inner city has a story. Most people will gladly share their story, if they have a listening ear.  That's were I come in. I have an amazing listening ear and a wicked sense of humor. Airports and airplanes are right down my alley.  Yesterday was no exception.

I also learned a valuable lesson yesterday...24 hours before I board a plane I will now confirm my flight and check in on line.  I thought because I bought my ticket 4 months ago, I was a shoe-in. I had my seat. It should have been that way,  however that is not how it works. I get to the Sacramento airport  in plenty of time. I am checking in,  life is good except for a smidge of a hangover that four cups of coffee and two Tylenol will eventually cure.

While I was getting my boarding pass, the computer only gave me one ticket. I ask about this and a lady does a little magic on her computer and tells me, "Run, don't walk!! Do not stop for coffee or go shopping!!!  Go straight to your gate 19. Then go talk to the man at the desk and he will give your second boarding pass."  After going through security, I arrive at my gate. A nice man gives me a second ticket and tells me not to leave the area. The plane is over booked and there will be people bumped from this plane. My headache just increased by 100%.  Of course I want to know why??  Apparently since I had not checked in 24 hours in advance...I was a no show. The computer decided that I might not show up and sold my seat!!!  Now this is where it made no sense to me. If I bought my ticket 4 months ago, why would I not show up for my trip?? If I had died someone would have let them know I am sure...otherwise I am going on the trip.

I made my flight. Several people didn't. They were not happy at all but I was delighted and dragged my C class rear on board and searched for a seat. We were told that all our choices were middle seats. However I got a window seat because a man in my row needed to be near the bathroom. We were landing in Los Angeles in a couple of hours and the race would start all over again.  

We got off the plane, I found my gate in time to hear them say "We are seven people over booked. Would you like to take a later flight?" 

"Aaahh No, I want this flight that I paid for four months ago!!!" and I take my seat... crossing my fingers and watching the people in my gate area fill up seats and see lots of young men standingSoon it announced they are over booked by seven. The standing young men looked tired, ticked and rather unpleasant.

Once again the "C" group was told "middle seats only."  As we were boarding  they called a young man's name and he had to leave. Then they offered anyone willing to wait a $300 credit to use on another flight. A young girl took them up on this. By this time I have walked about 4 rows into the plane and see only center row seats. I decided to take the first one I came to. There were two men setting there. The little guy sitting by the window was an odd little duck. He had his tongue stuck out and said, "You don't want to sit here!!!  I chew with my mouth open, I snore,  I have gas and I have been told I am crazy".  I looked him square in the eye and said  "I do too" and I am sitting here.!"  I was out of people skills and crazy sounded fine to me...I am used to that!  He put his head phones on and began to sing.  I took a xanax and tried to get comfortable.  He did a few odd things during the trip but nothing that was alarming. He didn't lick the windows but he was right about everything  else.

After we landed, Tommy was there to greet me and my window flying partner came up and told Tommy, "We took really good care of your wife." Tommy looks at me kind of funny so I whispered, "I will tell you about it later...it's a blog story in the making." Tommy gives me a kiss says "Oh My God, what now??? and welcome home"

No comments:

Post a Comment