Friday, October 18, 2013

Jacy Will Soon be 12...



Tami and Aaron moved to Maine when Jacy was 3 and Logan had just turned 1. To say we missed them is an understatement. When our vacation time rolled around,  Maine was our destination.  

We drove the first year and flew the second year. Everyone met us at the airport. It was quite a home coming. In the year since we had seen them,  the kids had changed quite a bit. Logan was talking, Jacy had long hair and some where in the mix  Logan had forgotten me. I was in for a surprise where he was concerned. After exchanging hugs and kisses we return to their van. I try to help Logan get into his car seat when he proceeds to tell me to F*** Off!  When he said that, I jumped right straight up and hit my head hard on the ceiling of the van. I couldn't believe my ears. I look at Tami and she was ready to burst out laughing or throttle someone. She says, " he learned that at preschool."  I laugh and try to get in the van. Logan wants no part of me. He likes everyone else but the verdict is not in on Nonnie. I am having second thoughts about him too:)

Jacy rides in the back seat with us. She is talking a mile a minute about a little purple tutu that she "really, really, really" wants. I told her I bet we  could get that tutu the next time we go to the store. She is delighted. It is a long ride back to their apartment. Jacy plays with my hands and rings. She gives us kisses and a hundred "I love you's."  Logan dozed off to sleep.  Tommy and I are enjoying the moment. One of the first things we did the following day was make a trip to the store and buy that purple tutu. It was money well spent. She wore it almost the entire time we were there.

 Logan picked out a dinosaur...a big dinosaur. As we rummage through the store making our way to the check out lane,  he throws it out of the cart. I pick it up and give it back to him with a quick kiss on top of his head. He opens his mouth to say "F*** You and I whisper " you had better not say that little boy".  We eyeball each other and he doesn't say it. Big sigh of relief on my part, wicked grin from Logan:)

After arriving home from the store, Jacy modeled her new outfit. When she looked at herself in the mirror she felt beautiful and she was. She twirled, took bows and anointed us with her purple wand. We bought bows for her hair and played dress up most of the day.  Eventually, everyone was tired except Jacy. We decided to take a nap and let the jet lag move on out from our bodies.  Jacy wasn't  sleepy so I laid on the couch while she played. I dozed off and on, catching glimpses of her as she created her own ballet. She was oblivious of me as she danced. She would jump through the air and fall down, get back up and do it all over again. She twirled and leaped,  smiling and giggling as she created her masterpiece. Occasionally,  she would give me a light kiss on the cheek as I pretended to sleep.

It was a delightful afternoon, a memory maker for me.  So much faster than I expected,  this little ballet star will  soon be 12 years old on October 30th. A swimsuit has replaced the purple tutu in her interest. She is growing up to be an amazing young lady.  Jacy reminds me of my mother. Mama was a worrier and a caregiver by nature...so is Jacy.  She has an amazing sense of humor.  Each time I see her,  something new has been added to her personality. Now she is learning to cook. Last week Tami had a 24 hour bug and Jacy took care of her mom.  Jacy has become my favorite book to read. I imagine her in all sorts of scenarios, however sooner or later my mind always goes back to the purple tutu and the pink princess dress.

 There is something special about each stage in a child's life. Soon Jacy will be 12, how did that happen?  Time goes by fast, soon all we are left with are memories and photographs.  That is the way it is supposed to be. The process is called 'growing up' and letting go.   It is also why it is important to make memories that can be conjured up on a rainy afternoon when the one we are remembering is far from home.

As for Logan, he is all boy, full of energy, constantly in motion. He never walks into a room. He slides, runs, flips or slips quietly in to scare me. He is the most loveable little boy I know and I treasure him. We are so much alike, at times it is scary. After that year,  he fell in love with me and decided I was a keeper. Thank goodness for that. He has my heart and always will.

Tommy and I are taking Jacy shopping on the 27th for her birthday. Buying for her now is hard. She is developing her own style, which is cool. I can't wait to see what she buys. I am assuming we are going to shop for clothes but she may have other plans. Her birthday is Oct. 30th. She was born on Melodi's birthday.

 Speaking of Melodi, she will be 34 on that day. It doesn't seem that long ago we were celebrating her 12th birthday, however it has been 22 years...now that is a sobering fact that just smacked me in the face!!  Melodi recently married and is living in California. She is extremely happy. I think I will take the rest of the afternoon off and have some 'Melodi time' for myself. We have made a lot of memories over the years...it is a good day to remember them.

Enjoy your birthdays ladies...there are lots of memories to be made in these next few weeks.  Much love to you both.

,

No comments:

Post a Comment