Monday, November 25, 2013

The Morning After the Night Before...



For the past month, I have dreaded the approaching of  November 24I had an appointment for a sleep study test and I did not want to have the test done. I needed it,  just did not want it. The idea of someone watching me sleep is a little on the weird side...and she did watch me sleep. There was a working camera in the corner of the room. I also asked her about it. She was very nice and told me the tape would be erased in the morning.  Hmmmm... Having to wear 'wired post its'  all over my body is really on the weird,  uncomfortable side.  When I thought it couldn't get any more crazy the lady put a pulse ox on my finger and taped it down so I couldn't get rid of it and two tubes in my nose...smiles,  tells me to relax and go to sleep. She walks out and shuts the door. Really????  Really!

 There I sat on the side of the bed, vaguely resembling Frankenstein's bride after the lightening strike.  I honestly thought I would still be sitting on the side of the bed at 5 a.m. when the test ended. Luck was on my side, and I was allowed to take some of my sleep medication. It kicked in about an hour later and I did drop off to sleep. I had to sleep on my back.  Since I am a side sleeper that made me uncomfortable. I tried to flip over and side sleep but I had too many wires to contend with. In the process I yanked one of my 
earrings out. It was found in the wires this morning.

The technician woke me up at 5 and told me I could go home. She told me I could shower to get the glue out of my hair. I tried but this was gonna take some time and a lot of effort. I wanted coffee and to go home...glue and all. So I dressed and left

I will omit most of this story. In reality it could go on for another two pages.  As usual nothing went according to plan. I will leave out the part where the sleep study lab had been relocated and no one told me. I ended up at the on call doctor's sleep quarters. The doctor was shocked to see me...I was glad to see her. I am glad I left my pillow in the car when I knocked on her door.

 I told her I was there for the 'sleep study program' she looked confused. That was when I knew I was in the wrong place. The doctor found the Sleep Center for me (she Googled it)...the hospital operator thought it was still in her quarters too.

I will leave out the part where the technician was scared of the dark and would not let anyone in the building until exactly 8:30.  I will also leave out the part where the other sleep disorder person was a young man from Columbia. We each had our own room but shared a bathroom. He woke me up around 4 making all sorts of chocking noises. Both of us  then needed to go to the bathroom at the same time and neither one of us could because we were all tied up.  He won...I waited.

My test results will be mailed to me. As usual, I slept better there than at home. I am one of those people who usually gets well in the waiting room. When I see the doctor she tells me what I had. Time will tell on this adventure too.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it was such an ordeal...hoping it yields results that help!!!

    ReplyDelete