Monday, February 17, 2014

When A Daughter Becomes an Author...





Our middle daughter Tami,  has written two books and multiple short stories. She is currently working on the sequel to her new novel, "Collapse". I have had the pleasure of watching this book evolve. It has been an incredible journey, making me remember when Tami was pregnant with my grandchildren.  The subtle changes, a growing desire for the creator and the created to let go of each other and see what happens; so it was with the book. The process of watching characters being created, each one searching to find their place in the story was interesting.  New characters were created as adults, standing alone and also together as the book and author often butted heads on who would live and who would die. The story wanting to be told had its own agenda and voice; allowing the story to talk is a beautiful, chancy drama to watch.   I am glad I could tag along.

Years ago at staff meetings I often heard this statement, "If you want to get something done, assign the task to the busiest person you have on your team and that person will figure out the right way to do what needs to be done."   I believe that statement. I know it is true in Tami's life. She is a full time corporate employee, a single mother of two children, and a devoted member of her church and to her creator.  My grandchildren, Jacy and Logan, are involved in every activity known to mankind and the Centralia school system. She has an active social life with friends that are as busy and as amazing as Tami is herself.  In the midst of all this, she writes books!

When does she have time to write?  Not an easy answer by any means. Usually it is after the day is finally done and the children are in bed. She writes sometimes at ball practice or at swim practice or at lunch occasionally. Any time her muse is ready to talk and she can get quiet enough to hear what she has to say...she writes.

When Tami first told me about "Collapse" I knew in my heart it would be an awesome book series. She would send me parts of it as she started pulling the book together. And then she stopped! I am like "send me more to read"! She would reply, "Mama you have to wait." I do believe 'wait' is my least favorite four letter word in the human vocabulary.  When I finally read the rough draft I was awed by the story line. It was worth the 'wait.' Tami took the book in a new direction I did not see coming. I was delighted and once again caught up in the story.

  After the writing was finished, the editing was completed;  came the promotion of the book.  Through this process the book began to take on a life of its own. There were book signings, people to meet, book stores to check out and orders to be placed. "Collapse" closely resembled a new born baby;  excited about living and wanting everything 'now'.  It was and is a fast paced, work filled and exhausting life for both Tami and "Collapse" neither could have it any other way.  

"Collapse" is a book that could easily happen in our lifetime.  A large portion of our population  live on a month to month existence. If they miss three car payments there is a good chance their car will be repossessed. The same circumstance applies to any other thing brought on credit; there is always the possibility of loss after 90 days of inability to pay. What would happen if the infrastructure we depend on collapsed?

Most grocery stores keep a three day supply of fresh food. What happens on the fourth day when the food hasn't been replaced? What happens when the public can't get a fill up at the gas station, because the government has taken charge of rationing the gas?  Eventually a mob mentality will try to rule. The couple who sit beside you in church may be the same people standing in your way for the last gallon of gas or milk.

This is one of the things I enjoy about the book "Collapse',  there is a thread of possibility that runs through out the book. 

I am speaking for myself when I say this; I will never look at an eighteen wheeler without thinking of the book "Collapse" again.

If you have not read it I encourage you to do so soon...you will not be sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment