Saturday, February 1, 2014

Some things do not improve with age...


                                                    
   I've  never had a beautiful style of handwriting.  Family members have tried to attribute this fact to being left handed. I really don't think this has anything to do with it.  I am always in a hurry when I write.  The words come faster than my hand can move, resulting in a slanted mess of blurred words.  Normally when I write, the words all dip to the right...some dipping so much they almost lay down on the paper.  I have to decipher most of what is written so other people can understand what I am talking about; occasionally, after a few hours, I can't read it either.

This was the case one day last week.  I wrote down our grocery list, giving Tommy his copy and one for items I would shop for elsewhere in the store.  We had a meeting place in the store where we would eventually hook up...the toilet paper isle.  It seems fitting in hindsight.

Off we go on our separate missions.  I get mine done rather fast and I go searching for Tommy.  I find him standing in the middle of an isle looking a little perplexed.  I asked him what was wrong. This is when he informs me he cannot read my writing. After 44 years, I find this fact debatable. Tommy swore up and down he could not read it and from now on I would have to type out the grocery list.

I snatch it out of his hand and began reading the list aloud.  I got most of it right,  mainly through the power of deduction.  Then I came to a word that even I could not recognize. I tried to remember what we needed that started with a 'C'.  Crackers, coffee, cookies, chicken, corn meal all came to mind. Those words did not fit the image I had written. When I asked him about the items;  he assured me we were fine in all areas.  I looked again and still did not know so I thought I would make a joke while trying to lighten the mood.

I told Tommy I wasn't sure but I think I had narrowed it down to two things...crackers or a new couch!  Tommy was not amused. He snatched the list out of my hand and proceeded to buy two boxes of crackers.  I stood there laughing because I knew we had two boxes of crackers at home.  Several days later, we still don't know what I wrote or what we needed. Evidently, we didn't need the missing item very much if at all. 

I still think a new couch would have been nice...not necessary but nice.

I began our grocery list for next week's possible snow storm. There are a few emergency items we might need.  He is soooo going to love reading this one:)  Once again, I will be on the opposite side of the store when he shops. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for the word de-icer...I am leaving out the hyphen:)

                                       
                                                                                                      




No comments:

Post a Comment