Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Remembering Old Hospital Adventures...While Waiting for the Next Shoe to Fall...



This week has been an emotional roller coaster ride for everyone in our family. Lisa, our oldest daughter,  had brain surgery Tuesday.  It  turned out so much better than I expected. We owe this outcome to answered prayer from God  and to all the people all over the world who have prayed for my daughter's health and for our peace of  mind.  Thank you does not feel like the appropriate words.  It doesn't go deep enough nor does it seem as sincere as I want it to be...but it is true. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I know with time my daughter will be well.

Lisa took a short walk today. They were checking her balance and endurance.  Her vitals have been fine and she ate a soft diet.  She slept a lot and that is to be expected. She also has horrible  headaches that will  unfortunately be with her for awhile.  Her sense of humor was in rare form for a few minutes,  and her memory was intact.  She proved this when she started telling "Mama and the Hospital" stories much to her delight and at my expense. We all had a good laugh; unfortunately it made her head hurt even more than normal and had to have medicine immediately.
Here is my version of the 'old' story.

Years ago Lisa had to have outpatient surgery in Columbia, Mo. She was married to her first husband, a man I later referred to as" Satan's Spawn", although at that time I loved him very much.  He worked 3-11 at a local plant. The surgery was going to run over into his work schedule.  The plan was, after surgery I would take Lisa back to their house. However,  something went wrong and  Lisa needed to stay overnight.  I called her husband and we agreed I would stay with Lisa and he would come over in the morning.  The last time I saw this young man he was wearing a red t- shirt  and jeans. 

About 10 p.m. Lisa and I called it a night and I went to the day room searching for a place to sleep. I found a fold out chair bed by the window.  The room was dark and full of tired, cranky people.  There was a lady resting next to the bed I took to sleep on.  A vacant chair bed lay to the right of me.  The lady and I talked for awhile exchanging stories and then we drifted off to sleep.  

I woke up around 2 a.m.  There was a tall young man in a red T-shirt and jeans standing in the doorway scanning the room,  trying to find a place to sleep.  I thought it was my son in law  because I can not see squat without my glasses.  Plus from a distance he looked like Lisa's husband.  So I hop up, wave the young man over and proceed to make him a bed by me.  I asked him , "How is she sleeping?"  He paused and said, "She is getting ready to sleep now". I was delighted.  He laid down in bed and I covered him up. Then I jumped back in my bed and went to sleep...satisfied all was well in my little world.

The next morning I wake up at daylight. I grab a cup of coffee and then went back to my 'bed'. I am watching the sun rise and thinking about Lisa. The young man rolls over in my direction.This time I have my glasses on.  I looked  at him and then I bent down and looked a little closer at him...it was not my son in law.!!  Needless to say I grabbed my bag, shoes and I ran out of that day room as fast as possible. I had no clue who that young man was I had tucked into bed last night... but he was not my son in law.

I never did find out his name but I heard a baby had been born early in the morning....so I figured it was his.  I would love to hear how he tells his version of this story to their child.  

"Son,  you will not believe what happened the night you were born.  You did not make your arrival until after midnight. Mom was exhausted but we were too excited to sleep.  After 2 a.m. we finally became sleepy.  When your mom had dropped off to sleep, I went to the waiting room to find me a bed.  I am scanning the packed room  when all of a sudden this older woman jumps up on her bed and started waving her arms.  I didn't know whether to call a doctor or a cop!  She motioned me over and I reluctantly ambled over to see if she was sick.  Immediately,  she threw a pillow on the fold out bed, grabbed a sheet and a blanket and told me to lay down. She asked if your mom was sleeping so I figured she was some part of her family.  I laid down and damned if she didn't cover me up!!  I thought I would have a long-long talk with her and my wife in the morning.  Next thing I know she jumps across to her bed, turned her back and said "Good Night".  When I woke up the next morning she was gone.  I think she was real but I wouldn't swear to it because it made no sense at all...and your Mom had no family spending the night.  We have decided she was either your guardian angel or a crazy person who escaped from the psych floor at the hospital and they found her!!   I lean toward the crazy lady!"

Tonight I find myself once again at a hospital with Lisa, trying to find a place to sleep.  The chairs do not make beds.  I have long passed  the hours when I should have been asleep or around strangers.  In other words, I have been nice as long as I can. I need some sleep and a quiet mind. You never know what tomorrow will bring... famous last words.







No comments:

Post a Comment