Sunday, August 10, 2014

Driving Ms. Lisa in the Rain...





     I love to drive by myself.  I will go anywhere, anytime as long as I am alone.  Add other people to the equation and I get nervous.  Add my grown daughter, who has just had brain surgery, throw in several left lane U turns and I become slightly insane...add a rain storm, Saturday traffic in down town Naples and there isn't enough Xanax in the WORLD to calm my crazy ass down!!

    This was the exact situation we found ourselves in this weekend. Lisa needed a hair cut since her surgery had left her hair chopped up and badly in need of a good style.  Her appointment was at 1:30, we left in plenty of time to allow for the rain and the traffic.

    We hadn't driven five miles when one of those left  hand U-Turners came racing toward my side of the car and into my lane. I was yelling and clenching the steering wheel with a death grip. Lisa screamed," Mama what the Hell is wrong with you??"  I slowed down and  asked her how she felt about "getting in a car seat and riding the rest of the way wrapped in bubble wrap... in the back seat???? "  Let's just say she declined the offer but did suggest that I get in the trunk and let her drive!!!  Not a chance, she is restricted on driving for now. End of Round 1.

   We made it to the stylist with time to spare. I did scare her two more times but considering where we were...that wasn't bad.  After the hair cut we found ourselves back on the interstate and in rare form. However, the sun was shining making our trip home faster and saner...by far.  Lisa asked what on earth I was thinking about to make me so nervous?   So I told her.

   It is hard to put these feelings into words...however I tried.  When someone I love has had a traumatic, emotional event in his or her life...like brain surgery for Lisa or heart failure for Tommy,  I get protective. I get scared and I want to keep my family safe at all costs. I do not want to take chances with their lives, nor do I want other people to take chances with their lives. 

Drivers rarely, if ever,  think about things like this. I didn't either until our lives changed.  As a rule, we are all too busy with our own lives to worry or care about the drivers in other cars. However, I am carrying very special cargo.  Lisa can not be in a wreck!!  Sooo to all you drivers who are Hell bent on driving like idiots, I have this bit of information for all of you.  I can NOT afford to worry about your deadline, your party or your date. Leave earlier, drive like someone's life depends on it and do not scare me and I will not scare Lisa.  Round 2... hmmmmm

 There are drunks on the road, dope heads, and idiots who should have never gotten their drivers license because they lack common sense. And while I am at it, let's not leave out the people who feel "entitled" and the rules do not apply to them.  Naples is full of "entitled" people.  So I drive a little slower, brake for idiots, and try to get my loved ones home in one piece.  I don't think that is asking too much.  Round  3...we arrived home safely...I won.  

No comments:

Post a Comment