Tuesday, August 19, 2014

So Is There Anyone in Naples Who was Actually Born Here?



I am enjoying my stay in Naples.  It is an unusual beautiful tropical place to live. I wish the circumstances for me being here were different. However, I am glad to report that Lisa is making a  remarkable recovery. She still has headaches, at times, and gets very tired but all in all she is a walking miracle to me. We are anxious for the oncologist appointment in Tampa.

I have been here for a little over a month and I have yet to meet anyone born in Naples. I know they are here...just don't know where they are.  However, New York is strongly represented and they are everywhere.

I was at an upscale market the other day talking to a lady who worked there.  We were laughing about something when she remarked on my southern drawl. I laughed and said, "Well, I  am from Missouri."  She looked at me and said, "No that is not it." For some reason I felt obliged to explain;  I was born and raised in Kentucky but Missouri has been my home for the past 34 years.

That pleased her. She nodded and stated "I knew you weren't from Missouri". I asked her how she could tell and she said and I quote, "'It's Missoura not Missouri".  My face became flushed as I explained to her that "we" call it Missouri.  She shook her head no and I asked her where on earth she was born.  She said New York. I was a tad bit shocked. I asked her if she had ever been to Missouri.  The answer was "No".  Why would anyone from New York correct how I say Missouri ...if they did not live in Missouri or had never been there??? 

Lisa nudged me and said, "Mama it is time to go."  So we left. I was beginning to get 'warm' under my tank top. Lisa started laughing, as we walked out the door and toward the restaurant where we planned to eat lunch. 

 "Congratulations, Mama you have met part of the 'entitled' who live in Naples." Lisa said smiling.   All I could think of to say was "Well, bless her heart!"  Then we laughed because we both know what 'bless your heart'  can mean if you are a Southerner.

No comments:

Post a Comment