Saturday, March 7, 2015

Hobby Number Twenty Something...Creating Dolls...

I can not remember a time when I did not enjoy creating something from nothing. As a little girl, colored ribbon, or a scrap of material became the idea for a Barbie ball gown.  Small pieces of lace turned into a bridal veil for my imaginary bride. Since I was raised on the movie "Gone With the Wind", the wide sweeping gowns from that era,  held a special place in my imagination. They were lush and flowing yards of material, memories and magic.  As I grew older, the compulsion to create images and stories I saw in my mind's eye, carried over into my adult life; words and pictures were reproduced in dolls and stories.

While wandering through the isles of Hobby Lobby one day, I discovered rolls of colored paper ribbon. Immediately my mind began to fantasize about Southern Belle dolls. I collected a roll of every color of the paper ribbon and threw them in my shopping cart...suddenly I was on a mission !! I had a new project to try and create. I could already see the regal ladies in my minds eye as I began to shop for and found packages of doll hair in every shade imaginable. I turned down the next isle, spying small crocheted hats with wide brims just begging to be turned into exotic hats. I collected packages of plumes, lace, beads, and flowers. I purchased a hot glue gun, a tape measure (because I knew I could not find the three I already had at home).  Into the cart I tossed scissors, a sketch book and a pen...always a new pen and a blank page.

On the way home my mind was fixated on my next new hobby. I drove home on autopilot. I hate it when I do that. I receive some of my best ideas while driving. Unfortunately, I never remember the trip home. I come out of the daze when I turn the keys off. That is a little on the scary side but it is true.

I patterned the dolls after a Barbie body. They were 11 inches tall, small waist, big boobs however, my dolls had no actual faces or bodies. I saw in each doll a face, a personality and a story. If anyone asked I was more than ready to tell what I saw in the folds of the dolls face, the tip of her hat or even the boas a few of them wore.  Usually, it would come up in our conversations, soon the customer saw what I saw.  I liked that, when this happened it was a good sale.

                                         


 Soon  I was having as much fun creating the dolls as I did selling them.  I made seasonal dolls for every holiday.  Also for weddings, anniversaries,  baby showers... just about anything.  My favorite were the craft fairs. All those talented, creative people in one room; I always spent more than I made on other artists crafts.  Then friends began to order dolls made to their specifications. I enjoyed making those.


                           


Soon I was making angels, little boys and girls, and  a few wooden dolls. I sold whatever I made;  that was a good feeling.  Once again, it does not take much to make me happy. I made dolls out of Raffia paper also. The photos I have are of the first dolls I made. They became more detailed as I worked. I wish I had photographed more however, at the time I did not think of it.
                          


 
I think this doll was 'quilting'. There is a tape measure thrown across her shoulder.  I also made nurse dolls, and nuns. Name a profession and I probably made a doll somewhere along that line.

                                       

                                      
                                                   
 
The first angel is swinging a smaller angel around. I made many variations of angels. I also made Hispanic and Black dolls. I ended up painting the faces in skin tones. Still no visible faces but they were there just the same.
 


I made dolls for about three years. I don't have any left. I wish I had kept a few because I would like to have given one to Jacy. I am not sure I have enough ribbon to make another doll. I still have a box in my art room for doll making, think I will check out what is hiding in there. As far as I know, the paper ribbon I used to make the dolls has been discontinued.

About three months after I quit making dolls,  I picked up a book (once again at Hobby Lobby)  and saw all the things I could make with gourds...You should have seen my next garden...filled with gourds!!

Now I have discovered 'pallets'. I have so many ideas for summer projects. I am waiting on the weather to improve so I can get started. The imagination is a wonderful place to live.
 
 
 


Right now, I am knee deep in potting my plants and making 'memory gardens'. I worked on a  couple this morning and have about a million ideas for more. Creating is a never ending lifestyle with me...just the way I like it and I hope it always will be.
 

 

 
 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment