Monday, March 16, 2015

Once Again Spring is in the Air...



 Once again it is getting close to one of my favorite times of the year...Spring. The smell of the new season  has seeped in during the past two weeks. Winter has shed its heavy coat and cast it aside. We will probably have more cold weather, maybe some snow,  but right now it  looks and sounds like Spring. I enjoy all the noises this time of year. Spring leapers are vocal and horny as ever.  If they were as big as they sound we could send them to fight ISIS and not have a worry in the world. Those toads could get it done in a big way!  Unfortunately, they are tiny frogs with gigantic imaginations and a wicked song to go with it.  It is their mating time of  the year...let them sing as loud as they can.

I spotted a bumble bee last week. I was thrilled to see the bee. In Missouri bees are in a decline and we need these characters  to fertilize flowers and plants.

While raking my yard, I unearthed a few March flowers trying to push through the ground.  There are patches of grass turning green and of course weeds are the first to arrive and the last to leave. I tried to kill those suckers last year,  evidently I did not succeed.

The snow geese are traveling North.  Every day we see line after line of silver birds, miles high in the atmosphere, flying back home in the North.  I enjoy watching these birds change formations in the sky. First one group will lead, all the other geese will follow. In a few minutes a lone goose breaks out and takes over the lead. Part of the pack will follow the new leader. This goes on the entire trip. Zigzagging back and forth as they fly closer to their home.

Last night I witnessed something I don't think I have ever seen before. The birth of moths. They have a very short life span and we saw the beginning.  Tommy and I were sitting in the living room watching a movie.  We had a small lamp turned on by our window. Around 9 p.m. something caught my eye.  Little moths newly hatched  were covering my outside window.  I watched as more joined the scene. They were attracted to the only light around.  It was a little bit on the magical side. The next morning as I drank my first cup of coffee, I watched as goldfinches ate the little moths. Nature has its own sense of need and at times a very strange sense of humor.

With each new season, I get energized and ready to change the world. Winter kept me busy as I waited, plotted and planned new gardens and outside decorations. I spent hours searching for the right color of paint, the right flowers and saved every pallet that came my way to create or add to my flower gardens. I am ready to plant the vegetable garden and all that goes with it. However, in the back of my mind I hear my grandmother's voice saying, "Slow down, don't get in such a rush. Easter hasn't passed and Blackberry winter doesn't arrive until May. You will probably have another snow that will not last long but could kill any petunias you plant now. Take your time and enjoy where you are in life. Don't always be in a rush.  Everything will fall into place when it is time."  As always...Mamamae is right.

2 comments:

  1. Mama and I lived with Mamamae and Granddaddy for 11 years. I treasure my grandparents. Such a good influence on my life.


    ReplyDelete