Sunday, July 12, 2015

The First Four Days of July Were Horrible...



   The first four days of July were absolutely, no doubt about it, horrible. I knew I had made a childhood mistake when I woke up on July 1st and did not utter the words that often control my imaginary fate, "Rabbit, Rabbit". I simply forgot about the old habit.  I am surprised this little quirk is still stuck in my brain after sixty years,  but it has never left.  In fact I think it is pretty safe to say; my mind is stocked full of useless information I have collected over the years. From time to time, I use this junk  when I write stories or my blog. That makes it not a total loss...but close.

  Supposedly uttering the words, "rabbit, rabbit" as soon as my eyes open,  on the first day of a new month, will ensure 'good luck' for the month. This bright idea originated with a group of little girls I spent recess with in grade school. We had a club and this was part of our rules.  Why it is stuck in my brain I do not know, since I can't remember who the little girls were in our club.  What is even more unbelievable is that sixty some odd years later I still do this little ritual. I seldom forget it and when I do---something always happens. Now in reality, I know all of this 'stuff' would have happened whether I said, 'Rabbit, Rabbit' or not.  However, I am always amazed by the events that occur. This July was my worst 'rabbit' non saying month in recent history.

   It was a good day until late in the afternoon. The skies turned dark and restless.  Low thunder could be heard rumbling in the north and to the west. This was nothing unusual. June turned out to be the wettest month in 120 years. Water was out everywhere. The predictions for July were resembling the forecasts for June.  The ground was saturated with all the water it could hold. The smell of rotten soil assaulted  the air.  I had walked outside to refill my hummingbird feeders and to check my flowers.  The birds were fed and as I scanned the flower beds I spotted the fattest black snake I have ever seen.  It  was at least six feet long and three inches in width.   All I could think of to do was run like the wind yelling for Tommy. I HATE SNAKES...alive or dead!!! Tommy came to my rescue, scaring the snake off. Tommy assured me the snake was long gone. I knew better than that!  Tommy suggested we go for a ride and maybe buy an ice cream cone in Fulton. He wanted to get me away from the house and the snake.  I told him I thought it might storm and his exact words were, "So what!!  It has stormed for over 30 days--what else is new??" Off we drove in search of ice cream and some peace of mind. In hindsight, we had the worse plan ever for 'peace of mind'.

   We jumped  in the truck and drove west down our gravel road. Three miles later, we arrived at a STOP sign and I had to decide which way to go. I looked right, toward Williamsburg .  The sky was black, I suggested we go left since it looked like Williamsburg was getting a heck of a storm.  We drove  about ten miles. I looked in the rear view mirror and spied the storm clouds chasing us. Tommy turned on the radio.  We listened as the disk jockey discussed out fate. Tornado warnings were issued for us in every direction. The winds were getting stronger.  We literally had no where to go.  The Missouri River was to the east,  about a home run length from our truck. The tornado was behind us.  Fulton was to our West and another storm had just hit Fulton.  We could hear tornado sirens going off either in Reform or Fulton.  We kept driving. The announcer repeatedly said "If you are in a vehicle...seek shelter." We literally had nowhere to go. We drove away from the river and toward Fulton, taking our chances that the storm would continue to follow the river and hoping the storm in Fulton would be over by the time we got there. I usually enjoy a good storm, taking photos as it romps and gyrates outside our windows.  Today was a little too close for comfort. I always want a Plan B to fall back on and today there was no plan B.

                                                  
 We drove home between storms, totally forgetting about the ice cream. The announcer was giving us a blow by blow account of the storm. It sounded like Williamsburg was getting stomped. My eyes filled with fear and tears. There wasn't one thing I could do about any of this. We threw a blanket prayer up for everyone and for us and kept on driving. The strength of the storm was beginning to recede as we pulled into our driveway. Everything appeared to be tangled and wet but  untouched.  We raced inside to turn on the t.v. and continue to watch the storm from the comfort of our home. It was a long night.  Too much excitement had happened for us to be able to relax enough to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

 
   The next morning we were drinking coffee in the living room as we watched the weather channel. I glanced out the window and I will be darn if that black snake wasn't stretched out across my table outside. I really thought I would puke!  Tommy ran outside and proceeded to 'relocate' the snake. She is gone this time...hopefully for good and forever. That day was another long, long day with more storms to occur.


             

  
When the 4th of July rolled around my dog, Sandy, was feeling horrible. If Sandy were a person she would be 97 years old. Most of her time is spent sleeping.  On days when she does not feel good, she stays close to me--more so than usual.  That day I had a feeling Sandy might die. She had a pitiful look in her eyes. She moved very little.  I watched her most of the day.  Later Tami called and invited us up to watch the Centralia fireworks display. We had a great time, still the thoughts of Sandy were in the back of my mind all night. When I got home, Sandy was still alive and feeling better. She met us at the back door. The thought of giving her up really hurts my heart. I don't think we are ever ready to give up a family member.

    Whenever August 1st rolls around, I will hopefully remember to whisper, "Rabbit, Rabbit'. Such are the ramblings of a third grader's plans...many, many years later...one can only smile and hope.


                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment