Monday, August 20, 2018

Looking at Redding Wildfires from 35,000 Feet...


   There are a lot of things in life that cause me to be afraid. I think right now'fire' is at the top of the list.  As we flew around Redding, I could see some of the different fires as they raged along, hungry and not particular about what was in their path. Destroying everything it chose to eat.

 Then I remembered how huge that fire must be to be seen from an airplane miles far away from where it is slowly eating its way across the works of nature and of man.  


  After we landed in Portland, Melodi met me at the airport. We drove to Eugene, Organ where she lives. The next day we drove to Lacey's family on the Rogue River. We could smell the fire and see the smoke.  I was surprised. Another fire had started twenty miles from where we lived. The smoke was drifting down the river.  That fact bothered me. Seeing smoke from 35,000 feet is a lot different to a newbie like me than smelling smoke as it slowly followed the river. We had a wonderful day and I met and became reacquainted with some of Lacey's family. We had a wonderful time and laughed so much. Human nature is an odd little duck. The human race is tougher than most people give us credit for, and we can adapt to just about anything. The fires will be contained and extinguished. Some people will rebuild. New trees will be planted. And life will continue, in spite of the odds against us.

                                

No comments:

Post a Comment