Monday, August 27, 2018

One Thing I Know for Sure...I Love to Fly

  I love to fly. Airports are one of my favorite places to people watch. Honestly, as much as I like to read, paint and write, I believe I might like people watching the best. 'People watching' usually leads to my other three interests.It adds fuel to my fire. My trip to Florida was no exception. 
  I arrived at the airport without any trouble until I found out I had to park my car in the long-term parking area. This place happens to be in the middle of BFE. And no one knows for sure where that is---same with the airport long-term parking lots. After almost two hours of near misses, I find myself in the right lane, headed in the right direction. When I arrived there was no one there except 3 other people who were waiting to be picked up by the airport bus and taken to their intended destination to begin their journey. We shook hands and introduced ourselves. We made a few jokes then waited for the bus to pick us up. The bus was there soon. After making it through security, I proceeded to my gate, find a seat and make a quick scan of the people I would be flying with. I was early and there were only about five people there. I took my seat on the side of the wall facing the crowd. It did not take long for the usual nonsense to begin. It is always a different situation but it is still usually a hot mess in the making.  
   Sitting two rows over from me on the outside seat was a lady who clearly was about to have a meltdown. And meltdown she did. She was probably about ten years younger than me. Tears were flowing and she was crying out loud in a few minutes. I got up to walk over to her and two men from airport security walked rapidly down the hall and stopped at her seat. They began to talk softly but firmly to the loud crying woman. They were trying to calm her down without making a scene and to remove her from the airport. That is when I took a seat and began to take mental notes. With my memory condition, it is a fifty-fifty chance I will remember what happened. The way I look at the situation, it never hurts to try. I never did find out for sure how she got through security because she was most definitely on her way to being just this side of drunk. The two young security men asked her how much she had to drink. She told them, "Not much, one at six, one at seven, one at eight and one at nine. I wondered what she had been drinking. She was informed that she would not be flying today. She had already missed her plane. She began to sob and cry loudly. She was not a pretty crier. Her nose ran, she spits on the floor and began to call for help. She got help alright, just not what she intended. Four big security men came out of nowhere. That made six men to her lonesome self. She informed all the men to "step back and not to lay one hand on her. She had been raped before and if anyone touched her she would absolutely flip out on them."  The men backed up and called for a woman security officer. No one came. She kept telling her life story. One young man connected with her on some level. He motioned for two of the men to step back out of sight. The two men standing by the officer in charge,  moved back about twenty feet. I had to scoot over two seats because one of them was in my way. The point of contact officer asked her if she was thirsty. She was and one of the officers got her a glass of water. I was curious to see which of the officers would end up wearing the water. She was calming down and drank the water. Then the officer told her the airlines would put her up for the night and she could fly out tomorrow when she felt better. He had to show her the schedule, talk to his supervisors and finally the two of them walked away. The other officers followed about ten feet behind.
  The next lady to become upset was an older looking hippie woman who told people what to do instead of asking. She informed the steward that she would be back in a minute and was leaving her carry on luggage by her chair, while she took her dog to pee. He informed her that, "no she was not leaving her carry on there". If she did it would be gone when she got back. What a hormonal day it was. This lady wheeled around and said, "That lady over there is my friend and she will watch my luggage." The lady and her husband looked at each other and said, "well ok." The woman threw her shawl over her shoulder, stuck her nose up in the air and her and her dog trotted off in the direction of relief. I got tickled and was laughing to myself as I thought about what all had just happened and we hadn't even boarded the plane. 
  Finally, it was time to leave. In less than three hours I would be in Florida. It was a beautiful flight until lightning struck our plane as we landed. But that is whole different story.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment