Sunday, March 6, 2011

On Aging and the Weather

         What is it about getting older that makes us so concerned about the weather?  I remember when I was a young mother, and we were just starting out in life, I never knew what the weather was going to be for the next day, much less the next week.  I didn't care. I had other things to be concerned with.

        However, my mother, who usually lived in Kentucky, would call me at least twice a week and give me the weather update.  Since I live in Missouri, most of the "bad weather" had to go through us, to get to them.  Mama was ever vigilant, and totally terrified of storms.  I, on the other hand, liked storms.  I enjoyed the smell, the colors and outrageous ferocity that usually accompanied a "good storm".

       Mama could never understand this. And because she couldn't understand, she became my own personal weatherman.  God, I miss her!!! 

      If the phone rang before 8 a.m.---I knew we were in for some kind of bad weather!!!   I would answer the phone and hear her sweet soft Southern drawl. "Honey, have you checked the weather channel today?"  "No, Mama I just got the kids on the bus, and I am having my second cup of coffee.  What's up?"

     Well, I knew when I said those words, I was in for at least 30 minutes of more information than I cared to hear. I got the low down on weather for 4 states around.  I received weather instructions, disaster precautions and preventions.

     When she was finally satisfied that we would all live, she would ask me what my plans were for the day--if we survived.  Just to be aggravating I would usually say. "I think I will go shopping!" I can hear her now!!!!  "You are gonna what????" Didn't you hear ANYTHING I said???"  I'd laugh and tell her I loved her and I had to go.
      
        My how the worm has turned!!!  Now I am the "official weather watcher and reporter"   for our family.  We are pretty much stretched from Kansas City to Naples, Florida.  Throw in Kentucky and Tennessee for good measure. 

      I keep everyone informed on the approaching storms.  I always put in my two cents worth of "things to have on hand in case of emergency" and question whether they really need to go to work, to town or to the beach that day.  I hear them smile. I know they love me and I also know they can't wait to start texting each other about my phone call concerning the weather.

        I have decided that caring about the weather is linked with getting older.  I now have time to watch the weather. Time to check the dawns and sunsets. Time to report my findings to the people I love best.

        Mama has been gone for almost two years, and I miss her terribly. I think she laughs every time I call the girls about the weather. 

       I also think at times, I can almost hear her say, "stay home today--you can always go to town tomorrow".  Then faintly, so soft it barely reaches my imagination, so low I can only hear a wisp of "I love you----you turned out to be a pretty good weatherman yourself." Then a soft chuckle lingers for a half second and I am alone, again.

.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the drama of a storm...I love it. I think it's part of a writer's job to discover the connections between small things and bigger ideas, as in this post. You do this really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. Don't know how I came up with 2 sets of type though:) I did something wrong---again

    ReplyDelete