Sunday, March 20, 2011

Postcard Trading ---A New Hobby or a New Addiction?

          In the middle of winter while everything was either covered in snow or mud, I discovered a new hobby---Postcard Trading. 

          I always bought postcards when we were on vacation.  Since I scrapbook, journal and blog, it always helps to have a photo to add to whatever I am writing.  When I can get the words and pictures to mesh, I am delighted.  When I can't --I am related to Satan's spawn for an hour or two!!!  It  eventually passes and I go on to some other way to convey what I want to say.

          It has been a long winter.  I mean LONG!!!  LONG!!  LONG!! winter.  I had plenty to do but I really wanted something new and exciting to try.  Something I have never done.  Enter Postcard Trading.  I have met people from all over the world and exchanged cards, letters, jokes, and sorrows.  I have made some friendships that I hope last a lifetime. If I have anything to do with it they will last.

         I knew nothing about trading cards.  Since I live in Missouri, people are not exactly knocking down my  mail box for cards.  After we exchange state capitals, state flags, state maps and state birds---that is pretty much it for Missouri. 

        This is where the quest began to dig up facts about Missouri,and to dig into my mind and find out what I really want to collect. I have lived in Missouri for 32 years and I knew very little about the history of the state.  Heck, even I didn't care.  So I have started digging into the past and Missouri has quite a history.  I am still working on the facts and fiction of this state, and will blog on it later when I learn what is really true.

       However, that left me stuck with what I wanted to collect.  From the people I have met I tell them the truth.  I want to see their part of the world through their eyes. I want to hear stories about places that mean something to them but that I will never see.  I want to learn about their religion, culture and their day to day life.  The people I have met have been wonderful about sharing their lives and cards.

      I was sitting outside in the swing, drinking a cup of coffee and reading  " I Am Number Four" when Nelo and his family ran through my mind. I knew they had had a great weekend, because I read a couple of posts from him.  And for about 30 minutes, I wondered what they were doing.   

      Then there is Ayako and Misae from Japan.  They are never out of my thoughts and prayers.  I really don't know how much my prayers help--since I have at times a rather rambunctious potty mouth and my sense of humor quite often gets me in trouble....but I think God knows my heart.  I think He understands that this time when I ask I am scared, humbled, and at a loss to help. He can do what I never could and I so I ask Him to take care of Japan.  I ask Him all the time to help them not be afraid.

      Then there is Sergey in Russia, raising a 16 year old daughter by himself.  He loves her so much.  I wish for him strength, wisdom and peace of mind....and eventually a new love.

     Another young woman  I have grown fond of is Ria.  She could be my daughter, we are so  much alike.  She would fit in perfectly in my family.  I hope she is getting some rest.  She is pulled in a lot of different directions, just like the rest of my family. I remember those days so well--never enough time for all that needed to be done. Not to mention the things I wanted to do.

       The list could go on and on of wonderful people.  All with a story, a life,  maybe very different from mine but so interesting.

       I don't know how long I will collect and trade postcards, hopefully a long time.

       I do know that people come in and out of our lives.  Some come for a reason, others for a season, and some to stay.  Whatever the outcome, I am indeed enjoying the experience.

3 comments:

  1. Mom I love your blogs. You crack me up and I enjoy your mind on "paper". I hope you never stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what she said!! I love these blogs, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful post. You really write from the heart. xo

    ReplyDelete