Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Did I Ever Tell You About Billy?

           This story has been told to me all my life---by every family member, so I know it must be true.  I really can't remember Billy.  I was about 3 or 4 Mama said.as she told me the story.  As she recalled I woke up one morning and Billy was there. 

          I was an only child so I always talked to myself, to my dolls and to Billly. Somewhere along the way, Billy became real to me and a pain in the wazoo for my family, I am sure.  Billy was always hungry.  I was a picky eater and so I tried to feed him all the things I didn't want to eat.  That didn't work!!

        I asked Mama what it was like to have an invisible person around.  She said it was rather nerve racking and at times intense. 

        Apparently, there had to be a place set at the table for "Billy" to eat....and when he said the blessing---no one but me knew when he was through!!!  I think Billy liked to preach, especially if Mamamae had cooked something I didn't want to eat.

        Mama said when we were going through doors, I would say "Stop, don't shut the door on Billy".  Sometimes I waited for him to open the door for us--that was futile and Granddaddy made sure that didn't happen too often.  Personally, I am glad the door didn't open. If it had, this would have been a whole different story.

       Billy also had his favorite chair, unfortunately it belonged to Granddaddy and Granddaddy was not going to share. Billy had to sit in the floor.  I drug in my dolls rocking chair so he had a place to sit.  Everyone was happy, including Billy.

      If I forgot something, I would assure everyone that "Billy" would bring it home.  We did a lot of backtracking---just in case "Billy" forgot--much to my opposition, because to me "Billy" never forgot anything.

      Billy stayed for about a year.  Mama said one day he was "just gone", just like he showed up.  I never mentioned him again.  I asked her if she thought I was crazy at the time.  I remember her saying "Lord no, we thought you were gonna die"  Hmmmmm that explains a lot, I suppose.

      When I think about this,  I have to wonder what I would have done if one of my daughters had an "imaginary friend".  Would I have taken them to counseling, to our minister.  Or would I have thought it was cute and just a phase. Glad I didn't have to find out.  Our house was full with 3 kids, 2 dogs, always a cat or two, goldfish, hamsters so if one of them had an imaginary friend, I probably would not have known it! 

       I have to applaud my family, when I was a little girl. They gave me unconditional love.  I have seen people "committed for 96 hours" for less than a little girl's " imaginary friend." 

      To be truthful., I have always wondered about "Billy"---where he came from and why he left.  I guess I out grew him.  But when it is either very late at night or extremely early in the morning, and I am writing, I often wonder if he is the muse on my shoulder.  One never knows where inspiration comes form, that is the beauty and fun of writing.  



      

No comments:

Post a Comment