Sunday, April 10, 2011

Drastic Measures

         Sometimes it is not what you say, it's how you say it that brings results!

        To be fair, this article is true, but not necessarily pristine. In fact it is crass. However, it is just me--being me.  I am who I am and at times, that  can be a bit much for some people. I am blogging about my life---usually.  This is what this story is about., a couple hours of my life yesterday.  So consider yourself forewarned---and welcome to my world!!!

         Tommy and I were coming back from Tennessee on Saturday afternoon. We had been to see family and for Tommy to turkey hunt.  We had a great time, but we needed to get home a little earlier than planned. 

         It was a hot day.  We had the windows rolled down instead of having the air conditioner on. I like to smell fresh cut grass and everyone was mowing.  After our long winter, the cool breezes felt great.  The radio was playing classic rock and we were in a good mood. I kicked my shoes off as soon as we got on the road.  This was going to be a fun trip.

         About five hours into the ride, I get hungry.  We had already stopped once for postcards, gas and sodas.  In Tommy's mind, I had already used my "free stop".  Everything else could wait until we got home.

         We are in St.Louis, going 80 miles an hour in 8 lanes of traffic, when I look over at him and say,  "Did I mention that I was hungry?"  Tommy said, and I quote, "Yes you did--twice.  We will stop soon."  This is code for " we aren't stopping to eat until we get home"

        We drive a little farther. I turned the radio off and scooted over close to him.  I whispered in his ear, and I quote, "I am so hungry that I could eat the ass end out of a horse!!"  Then returned to my side of the car. 

        He keeps driving but starts to change lanes. He is headed for the right lane ---which means there are exit signs everywhere for FOOD!!!  I am elated.  I was sitting there smiling to myself, when I looked over at Tommy and he's looking at me in a weird sort of way, and says, "Damn woman---where did you get that expression??  I swear to God  I can  NOT get that image out of my mind!!!"  I told him I didn't really know, but that I thought it might be "Divine Intervention".

         He pulls into the first drive through Dairy Queen and loads us up on some of the best junk food I have had in awhile.  I am sated and happy!!!  Life is good again. We whip back into traffic and ride along for a few minutes, when Tommy says "Divine Intervention my ass---you are one crazy woman!!!"

       As we drive along we start laughing.  We get what I call the "tired giggles." Everything gets funny.  Then I have a "bad thought" hit me.

       I need to stop--again. I really need to go to the bathroom.  We are 50 miles from home.  I scoot over to Tommy and say, "Did I mention that I have to go to the bathroom?"  He just shakes his head and starts moving to the right again.  Thank goodness---cause I was out of come backs---and I couldn't wait for 50 miles to pass!!!! 
       
.      Divine Intervention---yes indeed!!!
      

1 comment:

  1. There is a more genteel way of stating what you said. I have always heard it as " I am so hungry I could eat the south end of a north bound horse." Same thought but people have to think a minute to catch on to what you are saying. Anyway, glad you got your Dairy Queen fix and had a good trip. Tell Tommy I said hello.

    Sonny Brazzell

    ReplyDelete