Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Introduction to the Veterans Affairs

      As much as I hate mice, I now have a little empathy for the mice who are trapped in a maze.  Their mission to find the piece of cheese at the end of the long, long tunnel.  After yesterday, I really do know how they feel.

     Yesterday was our first official full day at the V.A. hospital.  We had to be there a little before 7:30 for blood draw.  I thought this would be a piece of cake---walk in ---give'em some blood and be on our way.  Not even close.  We were early and the "blood draw" room had been moved to about 5 corridors away from where we were standing. Someone said just follow the signs. Thank God for signs and arrows, because I couldn't find that room right now if my life depended on it.  When we finally get there, the room is full and there are 3 or 4 vets standing in the hall. Each one was holding what looked like a little space ship. We were informed that we "needed a space ship" and that when our "ship" lit up we were to go in and get the blood work done.  It went by faster than I thought. We were in and out in probably 30 or 40 minutes.   There were a lot of "space ships" ahead of us.

     Next we had to find the "Blue Room". That is where he has been assigned, I guess, because we kept going back there all day long.  Mainly to meet Tommy's doctor and pharmacists, and to be sent to other offices for meetings.
The ladies who worked there could not have been nicer, they told us to go eat breakfast and be back before 9 a.m. for his initial consultation with his doctor.  They gave us directions to the cafeteria, if the "blood draw" was hard to find, the cafeteria had to have been an after thought.  It was as far away from everything as it could be.  People helped us  navigate the halls and finally we got there.  The food was good and the coffee was great!!!  We started to perk up a little.  We found our way back to the "Blue Room" without any trouble.  We met Tommy's doctor.  I liked him immediately but he does not mense words.  I also found out "one does not correct him or interrupt him--no matter how wrong he is"  He will tell you when you can speak.  Well, alrighty then!!!  He went over all Tommy's blood work and said in a man to man--no sugar coating what so ever that if Tommy didn't change his lifestyle, get his diabetes under control he might have 10 years to live.  Talk about a slap in the face and a BIG wake up call.  He talked for another 15 minutes and proceeded to scare the crap out of me and I think Tommy too.  Then he looked at me and said "Now Mrs. Carter, what was it you wanted to say?"  Damned if I could recall!!!!

     He did have one little annoying habit that concerned me.  He kept referring to me as "this one over here"  He asked Tommy how long he had been married.  Tommy told him 41 years and the doctor said and I quote " to this one over here" and pointed his thumb at me.  In my mind I was saying "No dummy, I am his mistress, I go with him to all his doctors appointments!!'' BUT something told me to behave and keep my mouth shut---so I did, I even smiled. After he had dropped all his bombs he sent us to Pharmacy to get a new diabetes meter.  That place was easy to find. It was just around the corner but the line was long.  By now, I was tired of carrying my coat and purse so I took them out to the car.  I kept a book just in case I got bored. I never read over 3 pages all day.

    Apparently, we were supposed to meet the pharmacists next. But there was a mix up--every time she could see us, we had been sent somewhere else. They showed Tommy how to use the new meter. Did a test run and sent us back. The pharmacist had another patient. We were sent to photo I.D. to get his official V.A. card.  We came back.

    By now we were getting hungry but couldn't leave just yet. We still had at least 3 more people to meet.  Finally, a little foreign lady comes charging out the door, giving the ladies behind the counter, a big dose of grief and calling for "Mr. Carter"  "Mr. Carter".  We jumped to attention and followed her while she chewed our butts out for making her miss her lunch. She had a great accent and I asked her where she was from.  She swirled around and said "Iran" you know according to Bush, the axis of EVIL"  I laughed and shut up--again.  She did ALL the talking and we just agreed.  We were given more papers, more directions and more doom and gloom talk of death and missed lunches. Man, did I ever want out of that room.  And then she chilled out and was very pleasant.  I ended up thinking she was a hoot---wouldn't want to work for her, but liked her none the less.

     I really needed a Mt. Dew--loaded, but we didn't have time. Next we met the dietitian and she was great.  She also was late for lunch.  She told us about all the grass, weeds and flax seeds we can eat!!  It just keeps getting better. How much weight to loose, how many miles to walk and sent us on our way.

     One more person to see and that is the social worker. She was as nice as all the rest and very helpful.  Everyone was great to us, but we were exhausted and on information overload.  We were running on empty and needed a break .  Finally, we were through---for this visit. We gathered up all of Tommy's 40 million papers and headed back to the cafeteria.  We almost knew where it was. 

    I have to admit that I was really impressed with the V.A. Hospital.  As soon as we pulled into the massive parking lot, I felt honored to be there and to be an American.  Flags lined the drive way. Memorials to soldiers where everywhere.  It is all about our men and women who fought, were wounded or died for our country.  No one can enter that building without feeling a sense of pride.  The veterans deserve the best.  They gave their best for our country and deserve no less from the American public.

No comments:

Post a Comment