Thursday, June 9, 2011

Odd Things Find Me

              Today Carol and I went to the Brass Armadillo, looking for unusual treasures from the past. I never go with something in mind that I want to buy.  I like to just wander around and see what people value or no longer value. I let "it" find me.....and it always does. Today was no exception.  The last time we were in Kansas City I bought two WW11 newspapers, a few used postcards and some old pictures that wanted to come home with me.

            This time I bought a replica of a painting that used to hang in my Mother's home for years. When I rounded the corner to one of the kiosks, there stood the painting.  It bought a flood of memories back to me.  I knew I had to have her.  I have no clue where I am going to hang her, but she will have a place in my home.

           I have recently become enamored with old photos of people I never knew.  I wonder how all these old photos, memories of someones life, no longer mean anything to the families.  Surely they aren't all dead, because someone is willing to sell them for a dollar.  I think it is sad.

           I also find it fascinating.  I looked at hundreds of pictures today and five insisted on coming home with me. No matter how many times I put them down, I would eventually find myself back to their basket.  Two photos are from World War 1, in a place called Montfaucon. I Googled it and found it was a war site in France,  Over 14,000 Americans are buried there. The photo was made after the bombings, lots of rubble and soldiers. I couldn't leave them in an old box.

         Another is of a young girl's obituary. She died when she was 19. I wonder how, where and why?  There is a story there and I think she wants it told.  Another, is a small round photo of three sisters, or close relatives, because of the resemblance.  It looks like it might have been taken at the turn of the century.  They are pretty in their high collared blouses and long skirts.

        The last one Carol bought me. We both saw her and wanted her. It is a fragile newspaper clipping that has been framed. It's picture hook is a paper clip. This girl definitely has a story. In fact all these photos have stories.....wanting to be told, if to no one else but me. I will listen to them, look at their pictures and try to imagine what their lives were like.

         It may be an odd thing to collect and even an odder thing to write about. However for some reason, odd things find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment