Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tonight was a Perfect Night

           Every so often, it seems the planets align, nature complies with perfect weather and the people involved are in sync with one another.  Tonight was such a night for Tommy and me.

           We had worked outside all day.  The heat was intense and regardless of the heat and humidity we had to mow.  With all the rain we have had, we could literally see the grass grow.

           I planted flowers and did a little bit of transplanting to my area of the yard I call " Matlache".  It is a spot at the far end of the yard that I refer to as" my old hippie outlet." I have a red fiber glass motor boat that I have turned into a flower bed. I drug in an old white board fence--that I am painting yellow tomorrow. I have been transplanting hostas and planting zinnias.  I have bird houses, feeders and wind chimes everywhere.  There is even a dead tree painted red....just for a little color. I enjoy "playing" out there.  Today was a good day to play.  It is looking pretty out there---in an odd sort of way, and I like that.

          After everything was done, we sat down in the swings and breathed a sigh of relief. Everything looked pretty---at least for a week.  It was already after 7p.m. and neither one of us wanted to go in.  Tommy started a small fire  in the fire pit and I put on coffee, but came out drinking a Coors beer. It was delicious
---when I am hot an ice cold beer tastes wonderful. We turned on the radio and decided to put my "tomato tree" together that Melodi and Jenn gave  me for Mother's Day. That was fixed in a few minutes.  We are keeping it down by the fire pit. I think I will add a few hanging baskets out there also.

          The sunset was beautiful and the fire kept the bugs away.  Then came my favorite sounds of the night.  The bull frogs sang their melody.  A few tree frogs are still mating and they had a heck of time for about 40 minutes---good for them!!!

         As it got darker, the fire flies started to light up the forest.  It was amazing. And very magical.  I have always had a love affair with fire flies. When I was a little girl, I was sure they were setting the stage for the fairies to come out later.

        Tommy stoked our fire and it shot off ribbons of yellow and red that disappeared just as suddenly as they appeared.  The wood would pop and shoot sparks up 5 or 6 feet. It was like our own 4th of July.  We were totally at peace.  It was a good feeling---a good place to be.  We were on our land, watching natures home movies.  Why do we ever stay inside and watch t.v. when we  can have this every night? 

       Even our dogs got in on the magic. They both found a spot around the pit and went to sleep....they were at peace too.

       The world moves so fast and people are so stressed that at times it is necessary to pull back to a slower time and let nature do what she does best-- She does magic with a capital "M".

No comments:

Post a Comment