Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Difference Between Little Boys and Little Girls

           I have two amazing grandchildren.  Jacy is nine and Logan is seven years old.  Tommy and I raised three daughters and have been very blessed in our relationships with our daughters and grandchildren,

           Yesterday I picked the grand kids up from summer school and preceded to go to Sonic for ice cream then home to wait for Tami.  We were on a tight schedule and had to be in two places at once.  Tami took Logan to his baseball game and I took Jacy to her swim meet.  It is amazing to watch how fast they are growing up and to witness the degree of agility and talent they possess.  Both Jacy and Logan tried their best and were rewarded with applause and a flood of pictures taken by Nonnie. ( That's Me)!!!  They did great!!!

           It was this morning while helping the kids get ready for school, and then delivering them to school that I got a glimpse of the difference between little boys and girls.  They always make me laugh and today was no exception.

           Logan was dressed and ready for school first.  However, his clothes didn't match and he hadn't brushed his teeth or hair. After we ate pop tarts, I sat down with Logan and wanted to know if he was ready to go to school. "Sure, Nonnie".  I suggested he go brush his teeth and hair and find another shirt.  He looked at me like I was speaking, Arabic!!!  Looked at himself and said, "Nah, I"m fine"  I told him to look again and make a few changes.

         We got the shirt changed, the hair combed and he said he brushed his teeth. I wouldn't swear to that.:)  I washed the sleep from his eyes and noticed with great pride again that he has my eye color.  Everyone in our family has varying shades of chocolate brown eyes....complements of Tommy.

        However, Logan has my eye color.  It is an indefinite, changeable color that is usually affected by the clothes we wear or if we should happen to cry.  It varies from gray, to blue to light brown to green.  With flecks of each color present at any given moment.  Some young woman one day will be lost in those eyes.

        He is built like Melodi was at his age. Lean and always on the go.  He never walks into a room----he glides, slides, runs or slips in quietly to scare me----but he never walks.  He is a funny little monkey!!

            Meanwhile, Jacy couldn't find the "right" shirt to wear with her shorts.  Tami took care of that and came up with an outfit that pleased Jacy.

           She asked me to fix her hair.  She has the thickest, silkiest,  most luscious hair.  It is naturally curly and has a mind of it's own. The color is a mixture of three shades of brown with honey blond shades thrown in the midst.  Since it was already hot, we decided to put it up in a pony tail.  She wanted everything to be perfect, before she left.  And she was.

           Jacy is an "old soul".  She worries about people and their happiness.  She can hear Logan cry in a crowd and be the first person to his rescue.  Jace is a lot like my mother.  The older she gets, the more I see it....and that is a good thing.

            Since they attend two different schools, I decided to let Logan out first. His school was closest to where we lived.

           In my mind he would jump out of the car and be inside the school in just a matter of seconds.  This is where the "little boy comes in"!!!  He told me he loved me, messed up my hair and jumped out of the car.  Then he looks back and farts--on purpose!!!  Laughing at the looks on Jacy and my face.  Then he saunters toward  the school door.  He kills an ant or some bug. Stops and scratches his butt, waves at us again. Stops and watches the school bus go by and waves to some kids on the bus.  Stops and waves at us again and eventually he is at the door.  After another minute of monkey faces and waves, he enters the school.  Finally!!

          This is just about the time Jacy says, "Oh I hope I am not late.  I am getting a perfect attendance award Friday."  We are in reverse and out of the parking space to make sure she gets the "award".  Everyone and their dog, was in the same mindset I was in.  We were a tad bit late.  It was 8:03 a.m.  She was supposed to be there at 8 a.m. I wanted everyone out of my way. So did the other people!!

          Finally, we arrive and Jacy gets out of the car. She tells me she loves me three times and that she is going to miss me so much.  We blow kisses to each other.  She walks about three feet and turns and blows me another kiss. I sit there thinking, I hope I never forget this morning. Jacy walks on and finally enters the school.  Other children were entering as she did, so I feel assured her "award" is still in tact.

          It was a wonderful way to start the day.  Hectic, loving, funny with just a touch of wistful nostalgia. Remembering my girls and getting them ready for school---with only one bathroom.  It can be done, although it was never done quietly.

         I enjoyed the morning with my grand kids and my memories.  I look forward to doing it again soon....farts and all!!!  Did I mention that Logan can also play music with his arm pits?  Yep, there is a little bit of difference in little boys and little girls-----it is wonderful to watch.  Viva la difference!!!!

2 comments:

  1. My two kids are seven years apart in terms of age, with a daughter being my eldest.

    Looking back, yes, they do have distinct differences in manners...and the fart, that sounds just like some stunt my boy, Juwan, would pull.

    Back when my daughter, Yoni, was in pre-school, she accidentally entered the loo intended for little boys and you can imagine the laughs her innocent question caused when she got home: "Papa, why does Kenneth have a stick between his legs?"

    Have a great day, Vicky....And warmest thoughts from the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL love it. aren't kids great!!! Vicky

    ReplyDelete