Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Lois!!!!

          I love collecting stories of strangers lives. This is something  that can happen anywhere, at the airport, at the ocean, in line at WalMart, just any and every place.  People tell me their life stories.

         We have an "inside joke" in our family that in another life, I was a "priest."  Strangers tell me secrets, ask advice or just share their lives with me, some even confess.   I seldom ask their names, because we are so busy talking. We share great moments, sometimes hours and then we go our separate ways.  I leave feeling like I have been given a rare gift.

However, there have been a few times when the conversation became so sad and wretched that I felt like I had been thrown under a bus.  It is an odd feeling to cry with a stranger.  My reasoning on this is, if they have to live that life, the least I can do is listen and maybe encourage them in some way.

        Most of the time, I think all they really want is for someone to listen to their story.  Someone to care, even if it is a stranger, and just for a little while.  Sometimes it is easier to talk to a stranger than family or friends.  Just ask any therapist and they will agree.

         However, Wednesday night I met a family from Higgby, who are so charming I would not mind having them for neighbors---as a rule, the last thing I want is neighbors.

        We met at Jacy's swim meet. Their daughter Sarah, is 11, and was also competing in the class above Jacy.  We actually made introductions and told a little about ourselves.  Donna is Sarah's mother.  I needed a place to put  my chair and I asked  them if I could sit by them.  They were more than agreeable.  We chatted for awhile and then the meet began.

        Donna watched my purse, while I left them to take pictures of Jacy swimming.  I knew I had nothing to worry about.  We shared stories and cheered for each other's kids.  About half way through the meet Donna's mother Lois, arrived. When she got there, she literally had no place to sit, so I gave her my chair and went to the car and got me another one.

         She is quite the lady and I was so intrigued by her.  She told me they were originally from Ottawa,Canada. She was born and raised there. She told stories of her childhood. She talked about having to walk to school in the snow. She reminisced about Canada and her love for sports, especially swimming.  Evidently, they have lived in the states for a long time, because I didn't hear one "eh?" during the whole conversation.  She is such a lovely lady.

       Lois liked the chair she was sitting in. She couldn't decide if she wanted to buy one or not.  She kept debating the pros and cons of a $10.00 chair.

       Eventually, Lois told me that the next day was her birthday and that she was going to be 72 years old.  I patted her hand and wished her Happy Birthday and gave her the blue chair she was sitting in as a present.  At first she couldn't believe it and then she was so happy that a stranger gave her a birthday present.  She started telling me about how she celebrates her birthday each year.

        Donna's birthday is two days before Lois' birthday.  Swimming has always been a big part of  their family life. The love of the sport has been handed down from generation to generation. Competition and form rule.

        It is a tradition that Donna and Lois meet and swim a lap for each year they have lived.  They have never missed a year doing this.  It started when Donna was about 9 and Lois was 29.

         She said since then, they have flown from Ohio to Missouri and from Ohio to Texas to celebrate their birthday laps together.  Lois was laughing so hard because this time she has to swim 72 laps.  I think it is wonderful.  She is in good shape and I don't think she will have a problem at all.

         It was a good story, about a good family.  The only friction that I noticed was when Lois was mentioning her last years birthday present.  Evidently, she wanted her piano tuned and so far it hasn't been done.  She pointedly looked at Donna when she said that. Donna got up and walked to the fence and watched the swimmers.  I smiled to myself, yes indeed that is a family.  Laughter, traditions, barbs and all.

        I wished them both many more birthday laps and asked them if I could tell  part of their story in this blog. Lois wanted to know what a blog was and Donna just laughed and said "Of  course" .

       I have a feeling that one day this week, Miss Lois will be getting her piano tuned, compliments of her daughter. Better late than never, because Miss Lois is not going to forget.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment