Saturday, July 16, 2011

The One That Got Away

Once a year, Tommy and I go to Fulton for the sole purpose of buying two---one hundred pound bottles of propane gas.  That is the amount we use for cooking in a year. The huge silver bottles are placed in the back of our truck, with several big chunks of wood to keep them from rolling around and bumping into each other. 

We always buy the gas from the same store, the same man. We like him.  If we are lucky we get there early before the other customers are awake and this gives us a chance to talk to him.  His store is a mixture of equipment to rent, propane for sale, and bicycles of every size, color and design for sale also. 

My eyes immediately went to an old bike that was set off by itself.  It was a woman's trike. The color was a harvest burnt orange.  It had rusty handle bars, that told it's age.  It has been around the block a time or two, so have I.  It was almost a classic, even though it came with hand brakes---which I hate, it also had the old pedal brakes.  There was a silver basket attached to the front of the bike and behind the seat was another  basket, twice as large as the one in front.  It was just begging to be filled with all my "necessities" 

For me it was desire at first sight. I sat on it and thought of all the reasons I needed this bike.  It was perfect for my gravel road, the chances of wrecking on the rocks were almost nill.  It would hold all my art supplies, notebooks, camera, water, and towels and anything else that I might need for a short trip.  The price was right---the only thing wrong---someone else had bought it the day before. The man who bought it was a photographer and wanted it as badly as I did.

Even though it was a woman's bike, he knew a good deal when he saw it.  It will be perfect for him as well.  

I asked the young man who waited on us to keep a look out for another one for me---and that I wanted it--rust and all.  He will find me one, I'm sure.

In the mean time, I will have some wonderful imaginary trips on my trike.  I intend to get up early and take a thermos of coffee and hit the road, camera in tow.  5:30 in the morning is the perfect time to be outside.  The world is just waking up.  The baby rabbits are feeling brave and race around in the middle of the road and back into the high grass.

The birds are coming out of their nests and are ready to eat and sing.  First one bird starts singing, then a second and soon there is a complete orchestra of natures best tunes.
 

Deer venture out of the woods, with their fawns in tow.  What I wouldn't give to have pictures of that!!! I see it all the time, but so far have never been able to get a photo.

The turkeys and their young venture to the middle of the road to dust themselves in the rocks and to eat a few rocks to aid in digestion of food eaten later that day.

The road is a vivid umbrella of over grown trees.  The farther down I go  the thicker it becomes..  There is one stretch of our road that makes me think of driveways or long lanes from a  100 years ago. Trees on each side, reaching out and touching each other in the middle, making a canopy of dozens of shades of green leaves.  Something right out of "Gone With the Wind".

The world even smells better this time of day.  The dew is still covering everything, like a baby's sponge bath. Just enough water to clean up the mess, but no more than is necessary.

It's a beautiful time of day.  I will continue my walks and my imaginary rides but it would be so much easier if I had my old rusty orange trike.  The adventures we could have!!!!  The adventures I am already having in my minds eye.

I think I will call my friend this morning, just in case the photographer changed his mind.  I know for a fact, I will not be changing my mind....it was love at first sight....and there are many adventures waiting for the two of us.  Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  I may have to wait for another trike to come along.  If so that's ok. I am a big girl, I can wait. I just hope it has as much personality as the one I saw yesterday....because that one has my name written all over it.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Sometimes I can't get over how much you have NOT changed since we were in the back yards with our Barbies. It's a wonderful thing, this ageless "joie de vivre" you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Liz, you made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete