Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sometimes A Person Just Can't Go Back In Time

I feel a little sad today.  Part of it is because I am so tired and part of it is because I wanted to recreate a day from the past and relive it again with new people.  Sadly, I found out it could not be done.

My country was 235 years old yesterday, on July the 4th. 2011!!  Independence Day is always a day of great celebration  and pride for Americans.  Most Americans spend it with family and friends. We have cook outs and picnics, go to the lake, the river or the ocean depending on where we are located in our massive country.  Usually at dark there will be firework displays ranging form people's back yards to whatever body of water is near.  Almost invariably, each town will have a fireworks show. People come from all over the country to celebrate, to eat together, drink together, laugh, listen to music and generally have a huge carnival of parties everywhere.  It is a day of enjoyment and patriotism.

Yesterday was no exception for us.  We had made plans to go to our state capitol at Jefferson City, for the festivities and fireworks.  As a family, we have been there several times.  If we have company, that is where we take them for the 4th.  To me it is something special about being at your state capitol on that day. 

I am very patriotic, there will always be a flag flying in my front yard.  I believe in our country, our military, and the Constitution.  I am seldom in accord with our leaders anymore. I feel that somewhere along the way, our leaders became lost and sold us out for money and for their own profits.

  The American people remain for the most part patriots.  If our country falls it will be because the leaders of our nation quit listening to the people.  In the past few years, when we--the people--vote on an issue and it goes against what the government intended to do---it is repealed.  Since when do Americans not mean what they say when they vote?  For all these reasons and a thousand more, I celebrate the birth of our Nation with pride---while I still can.

I remember the first time we went to the Capitol to celebrate the 4th.  I felt almost like I was  walking on holy ground.  The massive building is beautiful, beyond description.  I was in awe of the gardens, the fountains, the bronze statues, the marble stones.  Everything meant something special and was bigger than life.

There was a stage set up for bands to play, close to where the fireworks would eventually be set off.  Music filled the air.  Some people danced, most set in lawn chairs or on quilts and listened, applauding and singing along.

Happiness and Pride filled the air.  Our family wanted to be on the balcony of the Capitol.  We had, unknowingly, picked the perfect place to be.  As it grew dark, the music changed to prerecorded songs of patriotism that were perfectly meshed with the fire works display.

  I have never seen such huge burst of stars and colors, when they fell to the ground, it was like we were encased in them.  Magic isn't even a strong enough word to describe the feeling.  When Lee Greenwood's version of "God Bless the USA" played the crowd of tens of thousands were quiet, reflecting, caught up in their own thoughts at that moment. The only sounds I remember hearing were the boom of the fireworks and low hush of awe.

Melodi was on one side of me and Tommy on the other. We were all caught up in the spell.  It was like for 30 or 40 minutes the world stopped and put on a show, encased us in that show....we revelled in it.  We soaked it up like a sponge and carry it with us until this very day.  That was the feeling I wanted to share with my grandchildren and children again this year.  I wanted everyone to feel what we had felt years ago.  But it did not happen.  It couldn't happen again.

This year everything was in a different place.  The "Little River Band" was playing in the front of the Capitol.  We enjoyed the show and still smelled pot, just like we had years ago, but they were out of place.  A carnival had been added up on High Street.  The vendors where everywhere, like they should have been. We walked all over our hilly city and tried our best to beat the heat. There was no way to escape it though.

 When we went to "our place" on the Capitol balcony we found that the bushes that had been there years ago where now trees, blocking our view.

  We moved down closer to the river and fountain. There were trees all around but we figured the fireworks would go over the trees like they had before.  If we found we were in the wrong place--we'd move.

There was a bandstand set up behind us.  Everyone was ready. Jacy was sitting by Tommy and me and everyone else rounded out our semi circle. The crowd began to close in fast. Suddenly there were thousands of people everywhere.

The music started. Instead of playing whole songs they played a medley of many songs, some patriotic but nothing long enough to suck you in to spell that could not be broken.  The fireworks started and although they were beautiful they were on the river and never quite enveloped us in their splendor. People closed in to get a better view.  We all got separated.  It was kind of scary because one minute we were all together and then we were split up. We didn't reconnect until the show was half over. 

This will be the last 4th we spend at the Capitol.  That wonderful moment could not be recaptured.  I was so disappointed.  I wanted everyone to feel, what we had felt and seen years ago.  But it was not to be.

  That time is over and gone.  I am glad I got to be apart of that one wonderfully perfect celebration.  And I know in the future my grandchildren will have their own magic moments that they won't forget.  I hope we will be able to be there and share with them when it happens.

I wish for them a deep love and respect for the privilege of living in America.  I wish them many moments that take their breath and leave them in awe of our country.  I also wish for them a country that deserves these feelings and words.

May God Bless America and preserve and protect her from her enemies at home and abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment