Friday, July 29, 2011

Watching My Grandchildren Sleep

Sleeping, but not soundly--the day hasn't left yet.

A few sighs and a yawn or two and soon they are lost  in a land of make believe dreams.
Forever moving, first a hand then an arm
kick a leg, grab the pillow and the sheet.
Throw them off and sigh.

Finally laying on their backs
Arms thrown across the bed.
Breathing steadily and slowly.
No tension left in their little bodies.

All the running, playing, laughing and computer games have called it a night.
A deep sleep finally finds them.
As I watch them sleep, I am almost jealous.
This kind of sleep eludes me,
I am grateful they have it----but envious that I don't.

I finally drift off into a sleep--not a perfect sleep
But one that will have to do for tonight.
I wake up early and get some coffee...
I slip back in the room and watch them sleep.

I imagine them a teenagers, young adults and as parents. 
Glimpses of the future, memories of the past.
Jacy starts to stir and I slip back in bed with her.
Before Jacy's eyes open she reaches to see if I am still there.
I whisper "Good morning,angel" 
She smiles without ever opening her eyes and says,
"I love you Nonnie",  then she drifts back to sleep.


Logan is a cuddle bumpkin but will kick the snot out of me if he isn't ready to wake up.
He likes to have his back rubbed and will fake sleep for only a few minutes
Before I hear, "Nonnie, can I play the Wii ?"
He wakes up with a mission in mind.
I smile to myself---wonder where he gets that?
I slip out of bed, to get my coffee and reflect on the first hour of the day.....
Satisfied that my little corner of the world is safe---at least for the morning.

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment