Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life Lesson #485...Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say....Sort Of

Last night was Halloween.  Tommy and I went to Tami's house to Trick or Treat.  We ended up buying 7 bags of candy and passing out the treats, while the grand kids trick or treated with friends and family. It was a fun night for everyone.

We lit the 2 craved pumpkins, bought out lawn chairs, made a pot of coffee and placed 2 huge bowls of candy on the steps. We were set.  I had my camera ready to capture the "ghosts and goblins" for my scrapbook.

We didn't have long to wait.  Soon we were surrounded by all sorts of aliens, princesses, ghosts, and super heroes of all kinds.  

I enjoyed watching how the kids would act when we said, "Help yourselves to the candy, there is more where that came from."

One little girl sat down on the steps and looked through all the candy to find the 2 perfect pieces that she wanted.  I told her she could have more and she told me that in fact, she had exactly what she wanted.  Well alrighty then! 

After she left, Tommy and I started laughing and talking about how cute she was.  I couldn't believe the control she had.  Or how precise she was in getting exactly what she wanted and nothing else. We played a game, "what will they be when they grow up?"  My guess---a ballerina,  Tommy a musician.  We both agreed that whoever marries her, will have to be on his" A game" all the time, because that little girl has a mind of her own.

Next came a group of 3. A little boy about 8, dressed as a soldier, a rock star and a goblin.  When we told them to get what they wanted, the soldier went nuts.  He grabbed up a bowl and almost emptied it in his bag.  Looked at me and said, "You said I could!!!"  Hmmm, that I did.  I may need to rethink this strategy just a little.  Then to my delight, the "soldier" starts to smooze me.  He talks about his costume, showed us his boots and was completely delightful.  After he left, I looked at Tommy and said, "He will definitely work on Wall Street!!!"  Tommy agreed.

Finally a little girl arrives dressed up as Rapunzel.  When we told her to help herself to the candy, her actions put the "soldier" to shame!!!  She was all over that candy. One scoop, two scoops, three scoops and I grabbed at the bowl.  She grabbed it first.  "You said I could have all I wanted!!!"  and I did, but at that minute I changed my mind---she had MY bowl and would not give it back!!!

This was the beginning of our "dance".  I am trying to get the bowl and Rapunzel is having none of it. She wants what she wants and I had better get out of her way. I want my bowl, why I do not know---but I wanted it just the same.  We tugged up Tami's first step and down the second, until Tommy finally takes the bowl from both of us.  He fills it up again and looks at me in utter disbelief and sets the filled candy bowl back down on the steps. 

Rapunzel and I square off and then I decide that she wins.  Taking candy from a baby is downright hard!!!!

As she leaves I look at Tommy and say, "So, what do you think she is gonna be when she grows up?" He shook his head and said, "I am still trying to figure out what you are gonna be when you grow up!!!"  Hmmmm  and again hmmm!!!


We both agreed that the little girl would be a politician and I am not so sure she won't end up ruling the world!!


As for me, I am still working on Life Lesson #485. I have a lot to learn before I am ready for lesson #486. This one is gonna take awhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment